- advertisement -

It will get easier...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kpoehls, Nov 20, 2009.

1. kpoehls

kpoehls Approved members

To those of you who have ever advised a newly dx parent that things WILL get easier, and to those of you who are newly dx, it is TRUE! :):):)

We are 7 months post-dx, and today, when my MIL offered to pick up Mara from daycare for an evening (filled with food, I am sure), Mara wanted to take her own food from home for lunch, and the school called about doing corrections before gym class. I was able to handle it ALL!! :D

6 months ago, I would have never guessed that I would be able to handle these questions. THANK YOU to all that have provided support.

It does get easier.:)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  2. Jules401

Jules401 Approved members

Thank you Kelli.
    We are 2 1/2 weeks post dx and doing as well as can be expected but overwhelmed by the enormity of it all. Right now Morgan is heading off to "kids night" for a couple of hours and I have no idea how this is going to work.
    I's so happy to hear that you are doing well and I look forward to reading your successes and challenges.
    Thanks again,
    J~

3. shekov

shekov Approved members

Congrats on finding the "new normal".

I didn't believe it existed when I first found this site and though we've had our ups and downs, it does get easier.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

That's really encouraging for the newly dx'd folks to hear. :cwds:

5. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

So glad to hear it's getting easier now. Good job. :cwds:

6. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

That is great Kelli:) It does so much for your self confidence doesnt it? Goes to show how smart and capable us parents of CWD really are:cwds:

7. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

I asked this exact question on here a couple of months into dx. Does it get easier? I can't remember who gave me the response but it was one that will always stick with me. It doesn't get easier it gets more comfortable. Life with a d child is not always a easy one but it does get more comfortable!

8. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I'm so glad your getting more confident...It DOES get easier, then harder for a short time, then easier again...Different things happen, when the weather changes for example. It used to take me a week to figure things out, but with experience, a day or two tops. It DOES gets easier with time...I promise!:cwds:

Good thread:D

9. GabriellasMom

GabriellasMom Approved members

I'm glad you're finding your groove! The first couple of weeks and even months, it's so hard to imagine it ever getting easier but it definitely does. I remember about 8 months after Gabriella was diagnosed that it hit me that life felt "normal" again- and not like we were constantly wandering through foreign territory in the dark.

10. rebesser

rebesser Approved members

Hi Kelli

just to reassure you that there is light at the end of the tunnel- I was diagnosed aged 9, and I am now 33 and doing what I want in life! Parents worry more than their children - that's their job, you always will! My advice would be not to blame yourself for your child's diagnosis, and allow yourself and your child to get used to things - this does take time. You will feel angry, scared, upset - but somehow you need to keep hold of your feelings from your children and stay strong. Use this forum to rant and let off steam instead.
    It sounds like you are doing a great job. Sharing is the best healer for most people, no one likes to feel alone, and we are not meant to be.

Sending you and your family all good wishes from the UK.

Best wishes,

Rachel

11. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Awesome!:)

Life does go on, with D tagging along.;)

Simple things which suddenly seem so overwhelming, like a trip to the store or the parc, or going on vacation:eek:, just become second-nature. It just takes extra planning.

Now, when we go to the restaurant or the grocery store, noone will know we D with us, because I no longer take a huge emergency bag with me.:p I just take the necessary.

Also, the looks of others when we test doesn't matter anymore. The comments sometimes get to me, but that will pass too, I think.

Keep on going strong!