- advertisement -

It will get better!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Judy&Alli, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

Since there seems to be a lot of newbies I thought we could all share a glimpse into their futures.

So here is mine to start with. I can go hours without thinking about d.:D I NEVER thought that would happen. I was so neurotic when Alli was dx'd, I would set the timer to give a shot or check bg. Life is so much better!!!

I let her go on sleepovers with out breaking out in hives, LOL!

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

Great idea for a post, Judy! So here's mine.......

Food -- it won't always be a scary thing, especially when you're eating out. To be honest with you we avoided restaurants for almost the first year after dx. :eek: If it didn't have a list of carbs or was not in the Calorie King book, we didn't go there. Now the term "Guesstimate" has become part of our terminology. As overwhelming as it seems at first, you learn to go with the flow and sometimes you get the carb counts right, and sometimes you don't. And that's okay! :)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We're taking a little road trip this weekend. What I'll wear ranks so much higher on my worry list than how I'll keep the insulin cool :p

Eventually you fret less, a lot less... really;)

4. Timmy Mac

Timmy Mac Approved members

also a note to any teens on looking at this, having diabetes won't make you a social outcast or a weirdo. Its possible to live a fairly normal life while still keeping diabetes in the back of your mind.

A lot of people at college didn't even know I had diabetes until I took a shot right in front of them!

5. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Our daughter developed her first relationship 4 months after her dx! She's at college now and all her closest friends know she's Type 1...not an issue at all in the social setting.

Also, there will come a time when your teen/young adult will be totally competent in their own care.

6. Hayden'sMom

Hayden'sMom Approved members

After a year into it, I can promise you that your fear will subside as your confidence grows. It does become normal...

7. swellman

swellman Approved members

It does get better and they get stronger and wiser and ...

Just to share ... my 5th grade son (11 of age) told me earlier this week that he "asked a girl out" and they they were going to go see a movie.

I'm like, in my head, "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?"

I said, instead, has she discussed this with her mother ... because you have to know that the parents have to be involved. He said they decided on a movie (PG-13) and, well, long story short I copped out and had his mother call her mother and they both had a good laugh and agreed that the 1st pick was not appropriate and they, independently, decided on A Dolphin Tale.

So ... I'm driving Mr. Pre-Teen Daisy to get his first girlfriend and take them to the movies because both of the Mothers are out of town. Personally, I'm most unhappy about this situation because I already saw the movie and I know I have to sit somewhere far away by myself and wipe my eyes like I have an allergy .... again.

So, we had recently agreed that he was to carry a school cinch pack with his "stuff" in it so he took it along and he had his phone (related to another thread). Oh, and on the way to pick her up the Dexcom had to be restarted. Lovely .... will there be popcorn? Do I embarrass him with having to count it? They both agree on sodas and all is good.

We did text during the movie for two reasons. One was an after meal test and things haven't been great and the other was that the restart for the Dexcom was going to happen during the movie.

He did great. He tested when he should have and texted me the results. ( I was 20 feet away but I could have been 200 miles away)

She wanted a snack in the middle of the movie and he went with her but he didn't get anything because he knew he was in Startup on the Dexcom and didn't have a history.

He used to be VERY sensitive about testing "in public" and I even asked him if he was OK testing in front of her and he told me he was OK with it everywhere. I was shocked. This was BIG news.

So ... it does get better because they get better and wiser and smarter and stronger and, well, they grow up and this is their life.

/rambling sharing off

8. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

You're story made me smile, and a little sad. Smile because, well, it's sweet and cute, but sad because I have two boys, 11 and almost 14, and it just makes me think...They grow up too fast...

9. swellman

swellman Approved members

No ma'am, they grow up just right. It's we, who have to deal.

10. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Love this Judy:cwds:

When Steven was diagnosed 7 years ago at the age of 3 I was obsessed with diabetes. I forgot my hobbies that I had so enjoyed BD (before diabetes) This year Ive already made one grape vine wreath with bittersweet berries and am making a second one with rose hips:)

Steven will be doing the mile run in cross country next week so we're training for that. I figure I'll carb him up that day good;) He is a neat, funny, interesting, smart, duct tape artist, home made firework creator:eek:, Computer game playing, Mythbuster watching, basketball playing, frog catching, nature loving, loving, kind, compassionate, cute kid. And damn! Am I happy that he's my kid:D

11. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

Thank you for this much needed thread

Thanks everyone. These kinds of threads are what keeps me going. Almost six months into D, I agreed it does get easier day by day, although somedays I am still having a hard time with the reality of it. It is still hard to believe for me how my healthy child could have developed D when it is unheard of in our family.

In the beginning, I was so depressed. I felt like I lost her, and really I did lose what she was. But I realized she's not lost, just different.

My biggest worry was what will her life be like, and this thread is very helpful in that respect. I love hearing stories about other people's lives and how well they are doing with D. So, thanks again from the bottom of my heart!

12. momofone

momofone Approved members

Just wanted to chime in that I LOVE this thread!

13. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

Yes, thank you for doing this. It's hard to imagine not being obsessed with D, so it's good to get a glimpse into the future:cwds:

14. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

I"m only 3 months into this...and definitely there are more smiles than tears or fears now a days.. So proud of how Daniel has handled things...He is doing so well in soccer and that was one of my greatest fear...right now I'm loving his honeymoon cause his numbers are great....I would hope even after we are out of that stage his numbers will contain to be more stable than not LOL...I still waking up and go to sleep thinking d.....but only cause I"m thinking its feeding and checking time....but I feel comfortable with him at school and how things are being handled......I can go through the day thinking about me...and not just everyone else...Life is still too busy....Diabetes hasn't slowed us down....Yes I worry about his growing up..his future...but I hoping I"m raising a confident strong boy...who will continue to conquer the world.

15. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

This is why I love this site...I've seen the transition from deer in the headlights shock to empowerment over and over and I still love to read about the growing confidence and positive attitudes! You all rock!

16. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I'm not sure things get better, but they do get more routine-y. Your daily focus isn't D all the time. It's like you just do things automatically, things become second-nature, and you don't panic as much, I guess. There will always be the bumps along the road, but you manoeuver them better, since you have 1) more knowledge and 2) more experience. Things don't become as scary, and you eventually (I hope) adopt the Obamattitude "Yes, I can.":D It's good when it rubs off on your kids, too.

17. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

Josh was dx'ed 18 months ago today. I was so afraid for many months....I can say that, for the most part, my fear has been replaced with confidence and empowerment-as someone else said. Josh is doing great. He does everything that he did before dx. Educating myself has made a world of difference. Really, we are ok. The whole family. T1d is just in the background noise 95% of the time.

Last weekend we went to a hot air balloon glow. It was held at a large park and Josh and his little sister decided to play on the slides before it began. Well, his pod was on his back and when he went down the slide, he felt a shock from static at the same moment-the pod failed. He casually walked over to where I was standing and asked if we could sit down and change it out. He did not ask to go to the car:) So, we sat down in the grass with hundreds of people all around listening to the live band, and changed the pod. He wasn't afraid of someone watching and I wasnt panicked in the least. After it was all over, my husband put his arm around me and whispered, "Look how far we have come! Everything is goin to be OK." and he is right. :)

18. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Things do get better. We have just finished 14 years of the diabetes routine. My son has lows and highs, forgets this and that, but we usually figure things out together.

I used to chart everything, now I can't find the dongle used to upload readings to my program. I was possessed, but now branch out in my activities.

My son is doing well in school and thinking about college.

19. SarahC

SarahC Approved members

Less than one week in, this is just what I needed. Thank you for sharing.

20. caspi

caspi Approved members

THIS is what I love to read! Not that the pod failed, of course, lol, but that our children become comfortable enough with D to take it in stride and not be ashamed of it! :cwds: