- advertisement -

It sure is a good thing we are only using saline for the pump this week...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cmsullivan, Dec 6, 2009.

1. cmsullivan

cmsullivan Approved members

Today we went to see family 2 hours away for some early Christmas fun. Everything was doing good, BG was 131 before lunch (woohoo!), had some homemade pizza, a small muffin, and a couple cookies. Gave the "pretend" bolus and the real stuff to cover carbs. We opened presents then DH took the boys to the park and they played for about an hour. When they got back DH said the pump had been making some alerts so we checked it out and it said that the pump needed to be primed (Why did it do that when we had only set it up 2 days ago and primed it then? And what would cause that?). We are only using saline so I hadn't brought any extra stuff with us for that sort of thing so we decided we'd just fix it once we got home.

After that we headed home (BG should have been checked at this point but wasn't :mad: ). An hour into the drive we stopped to get some dinner and checked BG, it was 434!!!!! :eek: , I am guessing we totaly estimated wrong when we calculated how many carbs he had eaten at lunch. We gave correction and insulin to cover carbs eaten for dinner right away.

When we got home we checked BG and it was down to 260 :) Much better! We did a site change, ( I'm not sure it that was totaly neccessary since the pump only needed to be primed?) Refilled cartridge, inseted new canula, etc and everything was back running smothly.

Thoughts, suggestions, what would you have done?

2. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

What pump are you using?

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I'm sorry. what a pain.. what pump are you using? we've never got a message likethat (Kaylee uses MM) but we have had air in the tubing that we needed to prime out.. no need for a new set (unless its time for it).. just disconnect, rewind pump and then prime, reconnect.. if you are using the animas ping, I'm not sure of the specific steps.

4. sparrow08

sparrow08 Approved members

We use the animas ping and one week we got 3 or 4 "pump not primed" messages. Once I had no idea why, but the other times either the cartridge cap was loose or the tubing was a little loose from the cartridge. It seems like a catch-all type of warning. If it happens repeatedly, call the company.

Laura

5. cmsullivan

We have the Animas Ping. I think there were some air in the tubing because earlier in the day I had noticed what looked like air bubbles but I wasn't sure so I just left it alone.

6. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

We use the ping and have never had a prime alarm like this, I bet you did have an air bubble.

It's nice to know that it has that feature!

7. MyAngelEmma

MyAngelEmma Approved members

Emma has the Ping and has had the pump not primed alarm once or twice. I can honestly say though that I know for sure the first time was from curious fingers messing with the little black rubber cap on the resevoir that holds the insulin. She let a friend hold her pump when she first got it and the friend, out of curiousity, twisted the cap and unloosened it. She immediately got the pump no primed alarm. Not sure what happened the second time but I suspect something similar.

We have had bubbles in the tubing but did not get an occlusion or prime alarm so I am not sure if that is what caused your alarm.

Something we also learned was that often times what looks like bubbles in the tubing are not bubbles at all but where the inner and outer tubing have seperated a bit. You can tell if there truly are bubbles by priming a unit or so and watching the spots that look like bubbles as the insulin moves down the tubing. If they truly are bubbles you will see them move down the tubing and disappear. Someone once post a pic on here that showed true bubbles and seperated inner/outer tubing. Maybe someone can find that.

Oh, btw, you do not have to do a complete site change to do a prime. Just go to the menu that has prime on the list and scroll down to prime. You will prompted to push go when you are ready. Just hold button down long enough to prime a small amount (one or two units).

Other than this, how is your son liking the pump? Is he doing okay with the site insertions? Emma had a problem with the saline stinging when we bolused. Has he had this problem?

8. cmsullivan

I bet is was the innner/outer tube separation thing because the bubbles did not move. It is also very possible that something got losened or something since they were playing at the park and we don't have the greatest pump case at the moment ( I ordered some better ones on Satuday). So far he really seems to like it and doesn't even bother it much (2 year old), its a little challenging when were are trying to change his clothes or look at something on the pump (like the priming thing) and he trys to run off to play LOL. The insertions are very easy for him and he seems to have no reaction at all when we bolus other than smiling because it vibrates when you bolus :)

9. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

We have the Ping too and we've gotten the "pump not primed" message once or twice -- usually when it got yanked a bit (not the inset, just the tubing from where it enters the pump.

All you have to do is to disconnect (!!), rewind and then prime a little out through the tubing. The message should be gone and you can reconnect again.

If it keeps doing it, then you need to contact Animas to see if it's a problem with the specific pump.

Good luck with the rest of the trial. We love our Ping and can't remember D-life without it!
    Eileen

10. cmsullivan

Well it happened again today but I knew how to deal with it this time and it was easily fixed. Hopefully it will NOT do it again or I'll gett pretty annoyed with it and end up calling animas. If I do have to call them they better have a good answer, something that costs that much should not have to be "fixed" everyday!

11. tandjjt

tandjjt Approved members

I know some aren't, but I'm a big fan of the saline "trial" week because of things just like this. Its give you a chance to get some real experience before going "LIVE". We still had several things come up after our saline week, but got the first couple of big questions out of the way that would have made me panic if we were truly pumping...

12. cmsullivan

Oh yeah, I think the saline trail makes total sense! I would have been in a HUGE panic this week if it were the real stuff ;)