- advertisement -

It isn't possible, right? Pump issue

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Kaylas mom, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Kayla has been running low the last couple of days. The school nurse called me saying they were feeding her and she was just going lower yesterday. (not severely low, TG) But.. 63, feed her 20 carbs (juice) tested 15 mins later.. 50. 30 carbs juice, 15 mins later 65, 15 more carbs and she was 83 and could go eat lunch. She never got higher than 83 the rest of the day.

So.. today, same thing happens and the nurse calls me and says.. what is different? I said she had a site change before all the lows happened, so maybe something is wrong with the site.. no idea what that would be tho. At dinner tonight she goes to bolus for 80 carbs and her pump beeps it is out of insulin. WHAT? it has been less than 2 days since her site change. She always puts in 60 units to last 3 days. She did not use 60 units according to her pump download.. it was more like 20 because she didn't bolus for much yesterday. So... where is all the insulin?

I am just assuming she didn't put in the right amount, but really.. I think she would notice only putting in 20 units. I wrote everything down when I filled the cartridge this evening. I will check it when she gets home from the Homecoming dance to make sure the numbers line up with what should have been delivered.

Just a fluke thing.. right??

2. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Insulin dripping out of insertion needle!

Yesterday I loaded my son's reservoir with insulin and put it into the pump for his regular site change. When I filled the tubing I watched for drips of insulin out of the needle like I always do before insertion. BUT - the screen just didn't read correctly - it still kept saying fill tubing, even though it usually reads 5.2 or whatever amount of insulin has been loaded.

As I sat there puzzled, I noticed that insulin kept dripping out of the insertion needle, even though I wasn't pushing any buttons. I thought THAT CANT BE GOOD. So I pulled the reservoir out to restart. The reservoir - which I had just filled about halfway a few moments earlier, was nearly EMPTY.

My husband, also a type one, said there was probably an air bubble in the line which caused this huge amount of pressure.

I tossed what was left in the reservoir and started over. NEVER had that happen before, but glad I was paying attention.

Could your daughter's insulin be "dripping" out like his was? Fortunately I didn't insert it, but he would have definitely gone low!

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

If that happened, you must have that pump replaced. I wouldn't have put it back of my kid without at least calling MM. Pumps don't just "ooze" insulin, ever. And if one does then it should not be used.

To the OP it's all there, everything you need is in the history. Maybe she ate and bolused and didn't tell you? Maybe she disconnected and reprimed the turing for some reason. It's really got to be one of a dozen things OTHER than the pump mysteriously pumping insulin without a users actions.

4. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

It certainly could be a number of things. I don't see why it couldn't also be a pump malfunction. Medical equipment does break. There are a ton of safeguards, but with more people using pumps for longer than ever before it seems likely we're going to see some malfunctioning pop up and with diabetes being what it is, I think it's going to be difficult for companies to pinpoint it. If my fridge stops cooling my food, I don't look for a hundred other reasons why there could be a problem, after I check to make sure no one unplugged it I just know the fridge is broken.

I would definitely call the pump company and troubleshoot before using the pump further if you suspect a malfunction that serious. They actually can, I believe, look "behind the scenes" and see some information you might not be able to easily access. Of course, we used a different pump so I don't know.

Another thing to check, if the basal rates were accidentally changed or a temp bolus was put in accidentally. I've seen folks (and come close to it myself) mistaking .125 an hour for 1.25 an hour, that sort of thing. I'd check all the settings.

Hope she had fun last night and everyone is safe and happy and sleeping in.

5. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Hope all went well last night. Hoping to hear you've got it all figured out.

6. Kaylas mom

Yes, everything went well last night. I have been checking the amount in the reservoir and it seems in line with what her basal settings are. I did check all her settings and the only number that I wish I had but isn't on her downloads in the amount that was in the reservoir after the last site change. The only thing I noticed was off was last night with the site change that I did. I had the tubing in my hand and was hitting the fill button and it always stopped and then showed the amount it filled the tubing. It didn't, I was just waiting for it to beep and felt my hand wet. So maybe that is what happened, Kayla primed most of it out and didn't notice?

7. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

What has she been doing at recess? Usually when something like that happens to us it's from a lot of extra exercise...:cwds:

8. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I've had unexplained lows from time to time, I've been able to eat uncovered with a reduced basal. I'm with the research that says sometimes your islets produce insulin before the cells are killed off.

9. Kaylas mom

She doesn't have recess but does have team sports (3rd period) and that has caused lows before lunch before. She says they are doing ultimate football and hockey.

10. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

So glad you are on even ground. Hope she had a ball at the dance.

11. swellman

swellman Approved members

Were are also going through a time of reduced insulin needs - basal, bolus and corrections. No idea why and with different pods.

12. Heather(CA)

Did that start the same time as the lows? If so I would say that's your culprit :) Just lower her insulin...You know what to do :)

13. Heather(CA)

OK this is going to sound a little strange, but has your son started puberty? Right before Seth started puberty (For him age 10) he had a weird good sized drop in all areas of insulin needs. If not, other poss. explanations are sports and weather changes...Just a thought.:cwds:

14. swellman

swellman Approved members

Weather has changed ... not sure about puberty but acts like it :)

His growth velocity slowed somewhat this last year - endo is watching the thyroid.

Oddly, he got some mosquito bites and his BG shot up but back to normal - meaning lower insulin needs.