- advertisement -

It has been a terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad day!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Tena, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Tena

Tena Approved members

I'll let Em tell it in her own words. (this is what she posted on the teens section)It's been a loooong day --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It's been a loooong day
    WARNING! LONG!

I'm sitting here posting at 160. Not usually the best number in the world, but considering what I've been through today, it's the most beautiful blood sugar in the world! I've had 4 site changes and 2 manual injections since 9 p.m. last night. (It's 6:20 here.) Here's what has happened.

Changed site at 9:00 PM BG: 135

10:00 PM BG: 180, went to bed.

2:00 AM BG: 326! 1.9u correction through pump site (my ISF at night is 1:90)

4:00 AM BG: 350! Ketostix: Large; Precision Xtra: 1.1 Pulled out the site, it looked okay, inserted a new one. (I had one left in that was a week old because the site 2 days before this one went bad so I just switched back) Gave injection: 2.0u and started on a big glass of water.

5:00 AM BG: 336 Precision Xtra: .4

6:00 AM BG: 249, no ketones.

8:00 AM BG: 263, breakfast time so I ate 55C. I went to bolus through the new site from 4AM, NO DELIVERY!!! So I switched to the week-old site and bolused 13.4u through it. (my bfast ISF is 1:24)

10:00 AM BG: 266 Changed the bad site, it looked normal, corrected through newest site 3.9u (still had IOB) No Problem. (also opened new box of sets, which is what MM told me to do)

12:30 PM BG: 245 83C (Mexican food, that stuff is carby!) tried to bolus, NO DELIVERY AGAIN!!!! I had brought the insulin and syringes with me, gave a 12.0u shot and went home.

2:00 PM (home) BG: 346 (no ketones) changed site AGAIN! This site at least was visibly bad, it was bent at a 90 degree angle. And it was sore.

3:00 PM BG: 293 Evidently I was getting my basal by now which was 1.00u/hr.

4:00 PM BG: 318 (This is when TX Children's told me to do the next correction) 6.1u.

5:00 PM BG: 191 YAY!!!

6:00 PM BG: 160!!! 44c 4.4u.

I haven't had a day like this EVER!! And I learned that when I am high for a very long time that I get extremely emotional, because I have cried most of the day. It was bad enough to get ONE bad site, but I had to change it 4 times in less than 24 hrs, did both sides of my stomach which y'all know is VERY difficult for me. I was like traumatized during all this. (Quick update: I DID call MM about my other pump trouble and I have a new battery cap and haven't had to change it since) Minimed people think I need the 9mm sets (which Rae suggested earlier) so I'll get some sometime Monday. I shouldn't be getting that many bad sites, especially in one day.
    By the time changing the third site came around, I was ready to throw my pump out the window. Now I'm thinking it might be good to take a short pump break. Not too long, maybe 3 weeks, long enough for me to get some of this anxiety out of my way before I go to CO at the end of July. I dread site changes like crazy. I avoid them as long as I can and all day I try to figure out how to avoid it. It's really bad.
    The only hard part is convincing my mom that I need the break. I don't know. I'm going to go to TCH to hopefully talk to a CDE (don't know if I can get in to the endo or NP) about maybe taking a break, unless they have other suggestions. I know some of y'all have taken breaks before. How long did you do it? Did it help a little, or a lot?
    Thanks for letting me ramble on :D.
    --Emily

Now does anyone have any ideas what we could have done different? What do you think of a pump break? My only concern is that she absolutely HATES carrying any paraphenalia (sp?) with her, I think having to take a calculator, syringes, insulin AND her meter every where she goes will get old to her very quick. Also I think she has forgotten all the reasons she went on the pump to begin with. This has been the first really bad day we have had pumping. Oh, we have had a few sites gone bad but caught it fairly quickly and were okay. But today has been a doozy to say the least. Now if we can just keep her bg's down. Game plan now is to test at 8 pm and then 10 pm. By then all IOB should be gone and we can see what we need to do the the night. Any other suggestions? Thanks all. Tena

2. melissajm

melissajm Approved members

Tena, usually when we get the No Delivery message on Ben or Lil's pump it is usually the cap not on the reservoir right. It is hardly ever a bad site. We take the reservoir out, take the cap off, put it back on properly, rewind & prime again. Maybe worth a try?

3. Tena

Tena Approved members

Never thought about that. but we did unhook when she got the NO Delivery and just bolused 3 units through the tubing and had no prob. and we are still using the same reservoir that we have been using all day. I will keep this in mind though for the next time. I hate D!

4. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

could it just have been that the first site went bad and then hookign up to the week old site just didn't allow insulin to go through? by that point, the new site had been sitting unused for a few hours, right? and so when she went to hook up to that she got the no delivery? again, probably from being unused. From what I've heard, sites that don't get used right away go bad right away, debris from inside the body begins to clog them if there is not a constant amount of insulin going through. So I "think" that using a week old site might have been the first problem. Why didn't she just hook up to the new site rather than use the old one??

(or did I totally read that wrong??)

5. Tena

Tena Approved members

Emily has gotten into the habit of leaving the old site in until we are sure the new site is good. There have been many times that a new site has gone bad and she was able to move the tubing back to the old site until we could get her home or until we could change the bad one out. I don't think this is a good idea but it has saved her a number of times. Now 3 days ago when she changed her site she left the old site in, and during the night the new site went bad. She just switched back rather than get up and change the site. I reminded her to change the next morning but she has gotten so paranoid when she changes her site that she didn't want to. So when she changed again last night she didn't take the old one out to make sure new one was good.

Does this make any sense? or does it sound like it is coming from a sleep deprived and stressed out mom? Any way I told her she doesn't need to be doing that anymore and also the lady at Minimed told her the same thing, mainly because of infection. I don't know why, but of course she took it better from the minimed lady and took the old site out immediately.

I do see what you are saying and I will tell Emily about that too. I didn't know things in your body could clog it up like that.