- advertisement -

Is your family getting the H1N1 Vacc?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mom2two, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

Unfortunately for those of us with younger children the vaccine has very limited value (reported efficacy rate of 25-35% which is considered "good") and I personally think it imparts a false sense of security. There are lots of other things to do to prevent flu and it is unfortunate that there is so little "air time" devoted to those things.

2. wilf

wilf Approved members

Excerpts from the latest CDC media briefing which can be found here:
    http://www.cdc.gov/media/transcripts/2009/t091006.htm

With the production of this strain, we have cut no corners. This flu vaccine is made as flu vaccine is made each year. By the same companies. In the same production facilities. With the same procedures. With the same safety, safeguards. We have had literally hundreds of millions of people vaccinated against flu with flu vaccine made in this way. That enables us to have a high degree of confidence in the safety of the vaccine. It has an excellent safety record. We wished we had the vaccine earlier. It would have been great to have had it back in April or May. But the current science doesn't allow us to produce in much less than six months, and that's what it has taken to produce it at this time. People have concerns about vaccination. People always have concerns about vaccinations and that's understandable. We would rather not take any shots or medicine and stay healthy. The flu vaccination, being tried and true, is very effective. What we're seeing still is an excellent match between the virus that's spreading throughout the U.S. And the strain that was chosen to make the vaccine against. So, we expect a very good match a very good degree of efficacy of the vaccine. It will work to protect you if you get in time..

.. The first concern that we hear is, oh, flu is just a mild illness. Actually, on average, flu is not a mild illness. It can make you pretty sick, knock you out for a day or two or three. Make you miss school and work. And for too many people end up sending them to the hospital, to the intensive care unit and tragically some people may die from it. In fact, this year already, we have seen quite a few children who have died from flu. So, although it is not a disease that will send lots of people who get it to the hospital, it can be very serious and even for those for whom it's an average case, it's no picnic. You would rather avoid it for yourself and your kids. The best way to do that is with vaccine.

.. Even in places where flu has been widespread. It's affected 5% to 10%. That leads 90% to 95% of the population that's still susceptible. We can't predict what the future will hold and we know that vaccination is our best tool to reduce the impact of flu.

3. momofMEN

momofMEN Approved members

No we are not getting the flu shot. We never get the regular shot either. We wash our hands diligently after being out!

4. sariana

sariana Approved members

My cities schools are now planning to offer it at the end of the month. My way of thinking is that if they are willing to do that, then they must feel pretty confident that it is safe.

My kids will be getting it when it is available as will hubby and I. I have a friend whose family has had it and it was not pretty. Suffering and worry for over a week! And they do not have a diabetic.... no thanks....

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

That is why they are recommending two doses for young children - just like they do for young children who have never had the "regular" flu shot before. They expect that to markedly increase the efficacy rate.

I agree with you that there it would also be good to publicize the hygenic steps that one can take to prevent flu.

6. Lee

Lee Approved members

We are - after reading about it - and how more kids have already died then do with the traditional flu, and it hasn't even really started - well, we are getting it. Even if we already had it (They are no longer testing for it here), I have read enough about what is available in the US to feel secure in the shot.

We have done the flu shot since diagnosis, and since it is made like the flu shot, I feel a little more comfortable. Yes, I do wish there was more data, I am VERY picky about vaccines, but my gut is telling me that we need to get this one, and my gut combined with my research, well, that is what I need to follow.

7. abrayome

abrayome Approved members

Got it 4 days ago

Stopped by the health dept and got the H1N1 FluMist for myself. Still alive. Only some chills the day of.

Will definitely get it for Gracie when the shots are available.

We do the seasonal flu shots every year, we have all survived them.

8. KelliTwins

KelliTwins Approved members

The vaccines are still not available to us here, which is incredibly frustrating! Greg's pediatrician has no idea when they will be administering it, and they work through Children's Hospital! His endo said it won't be available to them until mid November. The school in which I work is offering the vaccine on November 18th, and Greg's school isn't offering it until November 20th, and even that might only be the mist. Ugh! If children with diabetes are supposed to be one of the first ones on the list, why aren't they getting the vaccines yet? So frustrating!
    Also, I know that our kids shouldn't get the mist because of their diabetes, but can their siblings? I've heard that they shouldn't, as well.

9. madde

madde Approved members

Well said....I think I've just made up my mind to get the H1N1 vaccine.

10. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

AFAIK there haven't been recommendations for double/second doses for young kid in Canada but our vaccine rollout is happening later than in the states so it may come.

There are other things to do besides hygiene - although that's a good start - especially if you use anti-viral soaps like those with tea tree oil.

Basic vitamins like D, B complex, and supplements like probiotics and EFAs are important immune system foundations and things most of us lack. Take a multi vitamin for other nutrients.
    Drinking hot teas (lemon ginger is a good one especially made fresh) or hot liquids like apple cider, soup etc throughout the day but most especially in the morning and at night can kill the virus as it collects at the back of the throat.
    Up your level of vitamin C through food and supplements.
    Cook with lots of garlic, onions, fresh ginger, or consume them raw in salads and salad dressings or on their own.
    Cut back or eliminate dairy and refined foods/sugar especially while the flu is circulating in your community as these things can depress immune response. Get lots of outdoor exercise.
    Get lots of sleep - preferably with a window cracked open.
    Stay warm throughout the day - a body's ability to fight infection is compromised if it is chilled. Make sure your kids are dressed in layers.
    Use anti-virals (tea tree oil) and up the level of hygiene and cleaning in your home - especially on places that could harbour viruses - door handles, faucets, phones, tv remote, keyboards/mouse, steering wheel of your car, etc. Set your dishwasher to the hottest setting or do a vinegar rinse if you hand wash your dishes.
    Stay home - limit exposure and give your body time to rest and fight infection. Cut back on the schedule and reduce stress.
    Look into alternative therapies and approaches if your family is open to it.

Vaccines just "teach" the body how respond to one particular virus. However from what I have read, most of the deaths that are occuring are due to secondary infections or because of severe underlying medical issues. Being proactive about overall health, doing some planned immune system support and paying attention to proper hygiene beyond washing hands seems to be lost in the discussion about how to keep ourselves healthy.

11. My_Dana

My_Dana Approved members

Nicely said, Karen.

With all the talk and pounding of where to get your flu shot, it certainly sends a unipolar message to the pubic. "This is the best thing you can do..."

That's really only part of the story but you'd never know it.

12. Brideyful

Brideyful Approved members

My non-d daughter had H1N1 this week and it was super mild...other then the high temp 104.7 I would not have been concerned, it was accompied by running nose and a couple loose stools and an all around sleepiness...she is two. What is interesting is my son had these same symptoms a week before he was dx'd with T1 (yes we are very new to this). I did not take him in cuz the day before both my kids had gotten the reg. flu vac and always run fever after that, every year. I am wondering if that is what set off the super high blood sugars that sent us to dr. with typical type 1 symptoms? Anyway regardless of ths new dx... none of our 3 docs are are recomending the vac. and all 3 say they will not get it for themselves or families, so it looks as if the med community is very devided on the issue as well as this forum. Neither of my kids vomited with it even once and both did not feel like eating but stayed hydrated like champs, drinking plenty of fluids! Needless to say we got our reg. flu vac but will not get Swine flu vac.

13. KyleBugsMom

KyleBugsMom Approved members

This is an awesome post. Thank you for listing out the "extras" we can do to stay healthy!!!:)

14. wilf

wilf Approved members

Vaccines also reduce, delay and "spread out" the spike in infections from a super-contagious virus like H1N1, allowing medical authorities to cope better in providing emergency care working from a limited capacity of hospital beds/spaces.

Our D children could face the possibility of not being able to get into emergency departments for D treatment at the peak of the epidemic hitting our communities, because they will be filled with unvaccinated people with H1N1 complications.

15. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

Oh my gosh I never even thought of that, now I'm really freaked out! Breathe in Breathe out.:eek: I wish it would get here NOW. Heard on the news at least 2 weeks until its available for public in our area.

16. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'm all for washing hands and eating garlic but we will be getting the H1N1 vaccine as soon as it becomes available in our area. ;)

17. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

The shot became available today here. However, they only had about 2000 of them and they were all gone early afternoon.

I do not fall into any of the requirements at this time but both of my kids do.

They are hopng to have more next week and I am hoping to get them in then.

18. wilf

wilf Approved members

An AP story today lists warning signs which should move you to seek immediate medical attention for your child with the flu:
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gosZT65zBsJouSmP7qIYS45Y-alAD9B9OA6O1

Here's an excerpt from the article:

Dr. Kenneth Alexander, the University of Chicago's pediatric infectious disease chief, said there are common signs to indicate when both kinds of flu turn dangerous.

Flu viruses can damage cilia, the hair-like fibers lining the respiratory tract that move bacteria and mucous "where we can cough them out" of the lungs, he explained.

That can make people susceptible to pneumonia and other bacterial infections ? a scenario blamed for many flu deaths in otherwise healthy children and adults, he said. In these cases, flu patients often appear to get better, but then fever and a cough return.

Authorities urge parents to seek immediate help if emergency warning signs develop. In children, these are:
    _ Fast or troubled breathing.
    _ Bluish skin color.
    _ Lack of thirst.
    _ Failure to wake up easily or interact.
    _ Irritability so that the child does not want to be held.
    _ Improvement of symptoms, then a return to fever and worse cough.
    _ Fever with a rash.

Parents should also seek medical help if flu symptoms develop in children most vulnerable to flu complications: those younger than 5 or with high-risk conditions, including asthma and other lung problems; cerebral palsy, epilepsy and other neurological diseases; heart, kidney or liver problems; and diabetes.

A recent report from the CDC found that one-third of pediatric deaths from the new H1N1 virus were in children like Max, with no known underlying condition that would put them at risk.

In the past couple of weeks, news reports have tallied the deaths of children with no known health problems, including three in New Mexico, a second-grader in Dalton, Ga., and a Baltimore eighth-grader.

"People are pretty concerned, and I think they should be," said Harvin Bullock, coroner in Sumter County, S.C., where 11-year-old Ashlie Pipkin died three weeks ago, two days after developing symptoms.

Authorities are walking a fine line between making sure parents are vigilant without raising undue alarm.

Commenting on the recent deaths in his state, New Mexico's health chief, Dr. Alfredo Vigil, told residents not to panic, but to take swine flu seriously.
    That means kids should get vaccinations for both ordinary flu and swine flu when the vaccine is available, and stay home from school if they are sick. Parents should stress hand-washing and covering coughs. Mild cases should be treated at home with rest and plenty of fluids, but parents should call their doctor if more serious symptoms develop.

19. annaluvspink

annaluvspink Approved members

Our DD tested positive for Type A influenza (most likely H1N1)--we are three days into it and the entire family has symptoms. We are weathering this well as good as can be. I was researching to make a decision whether to get vaccinated or not when we were infected. I was leaning on the "get vaccinated" side. The vaccine just didn't come soon enough to our area. So, a middle school nearby has closed today due to 1/3 of it's students calling in sick w/ flu-like symptoms. It is spreading like crazy around here.

Here's hoping for an uneventful recovery---

Michelle
    dd Annabelle 7 dx'd 3/07
    dd Mallory non d
    dh Dale of 13 year :)

20. Kirsten

Kirsten Approved members

We most likely had it in the Spring, but they were no longer testing individuals in this area at that time, since it was so widespread.

Even so, both boys are getting vaccinated on Monday. Both had the seasonal flu vaccine 2 weeks ago.