- advertisement -

Is your child able to tell their lows and highs?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by foxa71, Nov 16, 2009.

1. foxa71

foxa71 Approved members

Erin's getting really good at this. She's able to tell a low's coming on in the low 80's now. When she first was diagnosed she had several 40's. She never gets that low anymore. Her highs are a bit harder, she feels hungry, so it feels like the low to her.

She says her low symptoms are a bit shakey when it's not super low. She knows she super low if her tummy is "itchy" or "scratchy"- usually that's in her 70's or high 60's.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Occasionally he will tell me that he's hungry when he's low, but he's kind of always hungry, so it's hard to tell if he's feeling low or...just hungry.

I guess I would say no. At this point he either doesn't feel highs and lows or doesn't know what they are if he does.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think lows are easy for Maddie - she hits 70 and I hear, "Mom! I don't feel so good!" :rolleyes: The highs are harder. I think she looks high before she feels it. ;)

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I've just been through a spell (6 months ish?) of not being able to feel lows. However, in the past week, I've felt a load.. VERY weird, it just came back all of a sudden.

5. kpoehls

kpoehls Approved members

Ironically, today I had a co-worker who is being tested for gestational diabetes ask me what it feels like to have high or low blood sugar. Since I am non-d, I don't know first hand, but Mara doesn't seem to know if she when she is high. We can usually spot it by her erratic, irritable behavior (out of the norm for her).:eek:

She tells me that she feels shaky when she has low blood sugar, although last week when she was in the school nurse's office and had a bs reading of 42, she didn't feel a thing.:confused:

6. foxa71

foxa71 Approved members

I was gestational diabetic twice, once I had to have insulin injections three times a day which I gave myself, so I can say I have some experience. To me, lows felt shaky and weak. I felt tired and weak. I my highs I couldn't tell so much. I was very exercise sensitive though. Just a walk around the block could drop me to a low. I used to have to eat when I walked haha.

7. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

My dd can tell most of the time, however has been into the 30's before she's had any symptoms. It seems we go in spurts of weeks where she knows before she hits 80 that she is dropping, then the next few weeks she drops into the 50's frequently because her symptoms don't show up until later.

8. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Phillip can usually feel his lows. He's not home to ask, but I think I remember him saying he feels shaky. He has asked me once if his hand was shaking, and it wasn't. He told me it felt like it was shaking really hard.

Highs not so good. Sometimes thirsty. I can tell if he starts getting crabby. And some of his classmates have started to recognise some of the things he does if he's high. Unfortunately we had a run of highs during school about 4 months ago, so they saw it a bit. They were great at saying 'Phillip, you're acting wierd. Go and test.'

9. Toni

Toni Banned

Yes, if she is standing because she feels shakey. But if sitting or lying down, she does not feel them at all. I don't think most kids feel them when sleeping. And I don't know if she does not feel them when sitting is because she would then be preoccupied with reading, computer.

10. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Ian can tell if he's low or heading there, but he'll sometimes get that feeling confused with being hungry.
    At night though he will wake up saying his low.
    I will also notice if he might be low - nervousness, aggressiveness, confusion, white around the eyes, pal-er skin.

If high, usually I'll notice it - him being thirsty or annoying. (the other kind of annoying)

11. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Alex can feel her lows, as soon as she's out of range it seems (below 70) she'll check and confirm. Her highs, on the other hand, don't seem to bother her as much unless her vision blurs. I, on the other hand, know when she's high cause she turns into Super *itch (*=B/W -- generally interchangeable)! :eek:

12. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

Jordan can definitely tell his lows normally beginning in the upper 70's, but not so much with the highs.

On the other hand, I can normally tell when he is high because of his attitude and irritableness. He also can be very argumentative.
    (Sometimes we chalk this up to stubborn teenagisms also!) LOL :D

I wish there were a better way to tell the highs, but for us, he doesn't 'get them' yet.

13. foxa71

foxa71 Approved members

Erin had a super high last night and was complaining that her belly hurt. We corrected it and she soon felt better.

She does get teary and whiny when she's high, so that's a sign for me. When her brother and her start fighting a lot and she is acting out, it's a sign.

14. Rhonda

Rhonda Approved members

Lilly said to me just last night "Mommy I feel Low and she was at 78

15. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

Lows-yes. Always has.

Highs-no. Unless a site has turned bad overnight and he wakes up HI with keytones.