- advertisement -

Is Yogurt a problem food for anyone?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DavidN, Mar 12, 2014.

1. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Early on this was a food we did fine with. Lately though it is sending BG through the roof. I've tried doubling carb count etc ... to no avail. He's been spiking severely every time recently. Maybe it's just a coincidence (he was getting sick when having yogurt, growth spurt while eating yogurt, puberty while eating yogurt, etc ...) but was just wondering if anyone else experienced the same. We pretty much know how most food affect him but this yogurt thing is new and driving me bananas. Thanks.

2. wonder

wonder New Member

Same here

May 14 yr old daughter had a similar issue with milk..we stopped milk and its been 3 weeks. After leaving milk her blood sugar has almost falttened dring night times and does not go up much after meals (+/- 40) and we have reduced the basal and bolus ratio as well..
    So the mystery remains - what kind of a disturbance is milk causing to her ?

3. wonder

wonder New Member

4. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

actually, yes. We use Chobani Greek. My daughter loves it, but it's a nightmare.

5. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

6. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

Try a non dairy yogurt and see if he reacts better. My preferred is coconut based "greek style". Soy varies a lot by brand. Almond based yogurt is generally weird and gross.

7. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

By itself, no. With something else, like my daughter has been taking yogurt to school with her lunch, it's been a problem. Hd to add some crbs to the carb count.

8. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

DS just recently (in the last week) started taking yogurt with his lunch and we've not seen any difference in his numbers after lunch. He's been taking the "Trix" yogurt in cotton candy flavor, so it's not organic or anything (and not very good for him), but I only got 2 packs (8 cups) and he knows that it was a treat. He also doesn't have a problem with milk, though, so it could be a dairy problem for your son?

9. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Yoghurt really does a number on K's BGs at breakfast (as, apparently, do other dairy products), but we see no spikes later in the day.

10. Dave

Dave Approved members

Are you eating with added sugar? We eat a full fat organic greek yogurt with a little stevia and batko flavors strawberry. We bolus for the protein and carbs. No spike.

11. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Are you using the TAG system for blousing for protein?

12. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

we have not had a problem with yogurt but they have always been to lower carb types and Greek style, or the regular tube type that overall are less than 12 carbs and with other food.

13. Dave

Dave Approved members