- advertisement -

Is this neglect?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kcomm2007, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Kcomm2007

Kcomm2007 New Member

I have a nephew who has been diagnosed with type one for two years now. He is nine years old, and he has a older sister who is 12 ( she is not diabetic). My family has had to to step in multiple times to help with the kids, even before he was diagnosed. Their mother makes them take care of them selves. My nephew is responsible for giving himself his own shot, counting carbs, checking his levels, and keeping track of his own supplies (he is only nine). His blood has yet to be stabilized. Not to mention his mother gives him old insulin and doesn't keep it refrigerated or make any attempt to Keep it insulated. She goes months without sending any logs to the doctors and leaves them at home by them selves 4 days out of the week, and also late at night when she goes out. Everytime he comes to visit, his diabetic bag is a mess. Nothing is organized, half of the time he doesn't have what he needs.. And all their mother does is make excuses. we have called cps and they have been taken away once a couple of years back and put in our families care but now they won't do anything. It's sad to even go to their house, it smells horrible and is infested with roaches. Not to mention they always seem to be wearing the same clothes therefore we end up buying them new ones. She never Keeps up with his doctor appointment and they always have to get in touch with us. I think the doctors are catching on because the two logs she did send them are in my nephews handwriting (which is not illegible) because like I said his mom makes him do everything and never checks his logs. They even questioned as to why it says on one day they put can not find meter on his log!!! So I'm guessing he didn't even check his blood at all that day. Which makes me wonder how he dosed! He has been complaining of tingling feet and numbness and his mom won't even take him to the doctor. So of course it is up to our family. She doesn't understand how serious this is and we have tried so hard to do what we can when they are in our care but as soon as they go home it's back to the same routine.