- advertisement -

Is this form kosher?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ChocolateLover, Aug 29, 2012.

1. ChocolateLover

ChocolateLover Approved members

Surprise phone call today there is a new nurse at our school.

She wants us (parents) to sign the attached form and the endocrinilogist.

This will be our fifth year in this district and first time I have seen this form.
    Some of it does not make sense for type 1. He is suppose to carry any life saving equipment he is required. He is NOT allowed to carry glucagon.

The nurse seemed to drill him on locating his supplies within the nurse's room. Is she not going to be there?

Thanks for your help.

Jen

2. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

our school has one similar to it on their website - IMO, I think it is to take some the liability away from them and put more liability back on the student and parents. We haven't crossed the bridge of allowing our son to carry his diabetic things with him yet as he is only 6.
    Our Endo's office did write me a very nice letter saying that I have overall say of his diabetes care and every form they needed filled out and signed by a Dr I just attached the letter from them

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I would not sign it. I think I'd call my endo and ask if they are seeing this sort of thing and what their response is. I'd stall and force a meeting with the principal to have them explain how this is relevant to a person with Type 1 and how this would actually work when put into action.

4. Stacey Nagel

Stacey Nagel Approved members

does your son self administer his insulin?
    Jesse's 504 plan said just about the same thing as your letter..almost
    I agree with the part that gives him permission to take care of himself... and not have to wait for the nurse to check BS or take insulin... Your son is 15 and doing this himself ... no?

I would cross out the part that takes any responsibility away from the school... that part isnt kosher to me...

and I'd correct the part allowing them to contact his dr.... rewrite it that they should contact YOU- if the need arises...

5. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

If my DD were actually managing for herself, I don't think the form, including the release is unreasonable, except for the authorization to contact the endo.

6. Lee

Lee Approved members

This. Exactly.

7. ChocolateLover

:D

Thank you all for taking the time to read and reply.
    I emailed CDE and wait for feedback from her.

Big hugs!
    Jen

8. selketine

selketine Approved members

What life saving medication is he carrying that she is concerned about - the insulin?

Usually this sort of form is for an epipen. Honestly insulin is not an emergency medication and if you need glucagon - then someone else has to do it for you because you're probably too incoherent or passed out at that point.

This form isn't appropriate for insulin and I wouldn't sign it.

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

If he is not going to be allowed to carry glucagon to school and activities no matter what I would not sign it. For the mere fact that you can not ensure that he will be able to have on his person the required medication that is life saving.

I would not sign it but also have the endo write the orders to state that he is allowed to carry fast sugars and meter and insulin while at school and address any issues with off campus and field trips and after hours schol sponsored activities.

You need a 504 that will spell this all out in writing so that each person has their responsibilities well known and be accountable.

10. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

How's about just writing on it "See child's 504"? Signing this form could confuse things. It relieves the school from all legal responsibility of caring for a child they are supposed to be caring for.

11. ChocolateLover

I think that is what I'm going to do. Overheard another mom (non-d) say the nurse wouldn't be in until Thursday. ??? Will need to investigate.

12. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Just saw this revived from beginning of the year. I think this form is so they cannot be accused of not following Florida law that states if age appropriate students my carry all diabetic needed supplies with them. More than likely the school board lawyer wants more documentation as 504 is filed in place and this in another.