- advertisement -

Is this a stomach virus?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by libbymom, Dec 14, 2013.

1. libbymom

libbymom Approved members

Last Sunday, my son complained of a bad stomach ache. At times he would double over and moan with the pain. This went on for 2 days. Then on Tuesday, the pains went away. But since then, he hasn't had much appetite, and his insulin needs have greatly reduced. In fact, I haven't bolused him for food since Wednesday. I've reduced his basal many times, and still we're fighting lows. Once on Tuesday, he was 24! It takes a lot longer (and more carbs) to get him up too.

I don't think he's constipated. He's had normal bowel movements every day this week. He hasn't had any diarrhea or vomiting or fever with this. He isn't lying around like he feels bad. Just no appetite and constant lows. I assume he isn't absorbing much of what he's eating.

Just a virus, you think? Should I be doing anything different? We started Dexcom a couple of weeks ago, and that's been a tremendous help!

2. Catiesmom

Catiesmom Approved members

Yes, we've had that happen too, it's definitely a stomach bug. they don't necessarily have to have diarrhea or vomiting for it to be evident. The stomach ache and lows are definite signs. Watch for lows over the next week or so until they normalize. It can take a week or two. On normal kids they would be fine by now, but not on our D kids.

Catie, now 13, dx at 8
    dx 6/19/09, Animas Ping 9/28/10, Dexcom 10/14/11, Omnipod 6/11/12

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Both my kids had something like this last month. Just stomach ache, lack of appetite and energy. Lasted about 3 days.

4. Wren

Wren Approved members

Sounds like a stomach virus. We just went through something similar. We were having such a hard time with lows, even with basal and bolus doses at 10% of normal. I've never had to reduce indulin so much with previous stomach bugs. The endo said it was ok to use that little insulin to prevent lows as long as ketones were ok. You'll have trace or small ketones due to not eating, and that's ok. By day 5 with the scary stubborn lows, I called the endo on call on a Sunday and I'm glad I did.

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

What you should be doing different is reducing the insulin he's getting..