- advertisement -

Is this a good price for insulin

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BRANDYB, May 3, 2009.

1. BRANDYB

BRANDYB Approved members

Okay I am really ticked off right now. My husband has a new insurance and we can get our insulin through a mail order pharmacy. I called and they told me a 90 day supply would be 89.00. I was tickled because we pay 60.00 a month for insulin now. Well, I ordered it and I am having to pay 200.00 for the 90 day supply. Is this a bad price for mail order? I get 12 vials for this price. They said they did not know why someone would have told me the other price. I am ticked because I work at a hospital and was getting the insulin for 10.00 a vial. I hate to sound so upset about this. I am grateful to have insurance and thankful because the insurance pays so well for her pump supplies but I just wish someone would have not told me wrong.:mad:If you get your insulin from mail order does this price sound okay?

2. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

well...I pay $9 for 6 vials of Novolog. That's a 3 month supply, the rx is written for 2 vials per month, so regardless of how many vials a month we get, it would only be $3 per month, so to me it sounds like a LOT.

3. TEXSONMOM

TEXSONMOM Approved members

I have used Walgreens forever. My company just switched insurance providers and yesterday I got Levimer, syringes and Synthroid for $95. What the? Not even Novolog. I know before I was getting all of this for under $50.

I am going to have to look into something else. Where do you get the $9 Novolog?

4. BRANDYB

BRANDYB Approved members

Yeah...I want the 9.00 insulin too....

5. frizzyrazzy

it's simple really - have dh join the army, go to war, be away from home for 1 year at a time, risk life and limb, then you too can have $9 insulin. ;)

heehee.

6. BRANDYB

BRANDYB Approved members

Never mind......I will just pay the $200.:rolleyes:

7. khannen

khannen Approved members

I pay $92 for 6 vials of novolog every 3 mths. Last year, it was only $52. Lol... gotta love price increases. I think Novolog is like $90 a vial retail price so I guess any of these is better than nothing. My father was once paying full price because Medicare didn't cover it.

8. Jilleighn

Jilleighn Approved members

If I was to order through mail order on our insurance it would cost me $30.00 for 3 vials (3 month supply) of Novolog, $65.00 for a 3 month supply of Lantus. and $60 of a 3 month supply for her syringes. her Test strips are $50.00 for a 3 month supply ( we get 4 boxes PER month) so it would be 12 boxes of test strips

9. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

We use the pens and I pay about $57.00 a month for 5 pens.

10. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

http://www.pparx.org/

try this website

partnership for prescription assistence
    I found the freestyle lite program there. it brought my strips down to 15/3 months.

that is a lot

11. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

In my last shipment of insulin, a supposedly 3 month supply which will probably last 4 months, insurance paid $162.47 for 1500 units of Lantus, and I paid nothing. Insurance paid $306.87 for 3000 units of Novolog, and I paid $30.00.
    So for 4500 units of insulin intended to be a 3 month supply, insurance paid $469.34 and I or my parents paid $30.00; the total cost was $499.34.
    It's my understanding that NPH and Regular are cheaper, and this being the insurance's preferred pharmacy, I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere else the total cost was cheaper.
    As far as I can tell, insurance has no rhyme or reason for what it has us pay per prescription- it's either 0, 15, or 30 dollars, but it's not consistant at all.

P.S. Ordering the Lantus as a penfil means I get half as much, waste maybe a tenth as much, and insurance pays less. I don't think the cost to me is any different. It might be cheaper, as long as you are using less than about 15 units per day of Lantus and/or Novolog, to order them as penfils.

12. emm142

emm142 Approved members

:eek::eek: You should ALL move to the UK! I've never paid anything for insulin or test strips or pump supplies or the pump itself...

13. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

Well, I'm pretty jealous of all of you! Even when our insurace was great, the least I paid was $20 each for a box of Novolog penfills and 1 bottle of Lantus. Now, we have to pay 40% of total cost (with our portion being $100 max), and 2 boxes of penfills is over $400. So until we met our decuctible, I had to pay $400. Lantus is over $50/vial.

Oh, and it was over $200 for 200 (20 day supply) strips...

14. frizzyrazzy

you sure?? we don't pay premiums or co-pays either. ;)

15. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

I pay $350 a month for our Apidra...4 vials. Don't even ask me what I pay for test strips.