- advertisement -

Is there any dishwasher made now that is not junk?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by ecs1516, Oct 19, 2010.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

My three year old Maytag is recalled for fire. This Maytag was a replacement for a 7 year old Maytag that was recalled for fire. Do we see a trend here?
    I see all the new ones(or some) have stainless steel interior. Does that look messy after a while? I am not a person to use rinse aid and I don't want to start. I never use heat dry. Any suggestions. I use Seventh Generation auto dish detergent because I can't handle fragrances.

2. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

both m y parents and brother just bought kitchen aid. both have alreayd had to have big repairs on them. My brother needed a new motor - 1 month old! My parents needed something in their door replaced. 6 months old.

don't buy kitchenaid.

Check consumer reports.

3. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Oh Thank you Michelle! I was actually thinking of ordering a Kitchenaid!!:eek:

I looked at Consumer Reports and it rated Bosch number one. I am afraid of the smaller load but that may not be a problem.:confused:

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Have a Kitchenaid too, but while I haven't had the huge repairs like Michelle is talking about, we've had some seriously quirky things go wrong with it. For example, the door for the detergent won't open at random times and I don't think it cleans as good as it could.

I remember my parents had a dishwasher for 18 years. The only reason they got a new one...we moved.

5. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

The stainless steel does get a bit gunky inside, but I use Glisten dishwasher cleaner (I buy it on line) once a month or so and it cleans up the inside nicely.

6. taximom

taximom Approved members

We bought the Bosch about 6 months ago. We really love it. It's seems like the same size as our last one (GE Profile..not good). It's so quiet!

7. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Maytag isn't what it used to be.

8. Yellow Tulip

Yellow Tulip Approved members

We've had our Whirlpool for a few years now. I really like it. It quiet, it has the silverware tray in the door, so it doesn't take up room in the dishwasher.

9. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Just don't buy ANYTHING ... dishwasher, washer, dryer, furnace, etc ... from Sears! You will be VERY disappointed...should you ever need customer service, good luck with that! I'd go to an independent dealer somewhere or Best Buy ... no SEARS!

10. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Let me save you some drama. Before you buy a new dishwasher, take the old one out and make sure you don't have any hard plumbing that would be a bear to move.

Older dishwashers were made with a cut out shelf to accommodate pipes that stick out. Then housing code changed so now new dishwashers have a flat profile in the back.

But if you have an older house with older plumbing, make sure you don't have any random pipes back there...

11. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

My mother also has her jet dry dispenser stuck and it won't empty ..in addition to whatever was broken in her door.

they also had a kitchenaid before that - bought in 1975 or so. My grandmother has a kitchen aid that was bought in the 50's or early 60's. Still running.

they don't make things like they used to.

12. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

We've had our Kenmore for 14 years and still works great. Also have a kenmore stove and fridge both are over 12 years old. And no I do not get any money from Sears for posting this:D

13. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Hang on to them! I don't think the new ones will last that long. :)

14. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

15. Leece

Leece Approved members

Don't buy LG. It does a good wash but it doesn't have a heating element and the dishes are soaking wet all the time. It was recommended with the stainless inside to rinse agent.

16. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

So I have to use Rinse Aid if I get Stainless steel inside?!!:confused:

17. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

LOL!! Yep, that was my Sears "rant"! And I will save the specifics for another time...

Whatever you decide on, good luck, you just never know with appliances. We just purchased an LG refridgerator...makes me nervous to buy ANYTHING anymore.

18. Leece

Leece Approved members

Thats what the sales guy told us. Mind you he never told us about the no heating coil either:( Maybe I should call the company and ask about the rinse aid thing). Our water is very hard here. I wonder if that is why he told me that?

Official Review: The LG is quiet and does a good job cleaning and fits quite a bit of stuff inside, but doesn't have a heating coil and leaves dishes extremely wet.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  19. courtneysmom608

courtneysmom608 Approved members

We have an almost 5 year old Whirlpool Gold and it has been wonderful. We have no complaints at all and it is quiet. Lots of nice features on it including no pre-rinsing the dishes.

20. Big Hair Momma

Big Hair Momma Approved members

Our Maytag lasted about 3 years. We're a large-ish family, so it gets run at least once and some times twice a day. We bought the tall tub and it did seem to have more interior room. After a year of solid problems, we bought a Kenmore and I love it. We had one in our old house before we moved and it was the best dishwasher ever. The new one isn't as good, but still does a pretty good job. Good luck whatever you decide. Appliance shopping is no fun!