- advertisement -

Is preschool a good idea for a 26 mth old diabetic

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Little Diabetic Dude, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Little Diabetic Dude

Little Diabetic Dude Approved members

My DS3 son has been at preschool for the last 2 weeks only 1 day per week. The first time I stayed with him till midday and took him home for a nap then yesterday he stayed till lunch and then took him home. AS parents we are going in at 10.30am and 1pm to do his readings and work his pump we are slowly teaching them but it just feels too hard. I am torn at what I should do whther I should pull him out and let him start next year but he is boisterous and needs to be doing things as he is always been very active.
    I don't want him tomiss out just because he has has D I might give it a few more weeks and decide any thoughts for young D's who have been to preschool at 2 yrs.
    I am sure the preschool will be fine but it getting used to this whole D business and by me hanging around he is just being feral I don't know what to do.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  2. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

My only advice is go with your gut.

I kept my little guy home with me until this year. I was a little selfish and wanted him home with me as long as possible though. He absolutely loves it and the preschool has done an amazing job stepping up to took care of his d needs. If your son enjoys preschool and you think it is the right thing to do. I say go for it.

3. JustinsType3

JustinsType3 Approved members

my son was a little older when he was Dx with T1 but his daycare provider was a true blessing!! she did everything!! she would check his BS give his insulin and made sure he at what he was suppose to. each daycare is different and the best thing you can do is go with your gut. mom knows best!! if you do pull him from daycare/preschool there are LOTS of other things out there you guys can get involved in to help with his extra energy and need to socialize!!

4. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

When you say "by me hanging around he is just being feral I don't know what to do." do you mean that he is misbehaving at school when you come in to do the checks?

I can't tell you what I'd do in your situation b/c Alex was 15 years old when he was diagnosed. But I can tell you that if you want him to adjust to going to preschool and learn the rules and routine of the school, you should probably send him for 3 days a week rather than just one day. Even if you just sent him for 3-4 hours a day for 3 days, he could adjust to the daily activities and expectations there more easily than just one day a week. And he can learn how he's supposed to behave when you come in to do the bgs.

But I don't know the situation of the school.....do they have space for him 3 mornings a week? Or do you only need child care one full day a week? But if it's possible, in all my years working with young children, I know they do much better if they are there more often than just one day a week.

5. Little Diabetic Dude

He is feral because he just wants to do what he wants to do ( typical 2 yr old I suspect). I have 4 kids in total the eldest is 5. His brother goes on his day but is in a different class my choosing though. I am scared if I stay most of the day with him I am doing the looking after and not letting him go if you know what I mean. I don't think the 3 mornings would work as I work as well, I will increase his days as he gets older though. I thought it would be good for him to get out and be amongst it because I just never get the time to sit down and do all the fun things. That part of having 4 kids so young I suppose.
    I would do the 'other things' with him but I have a baby too which means I have to be home for sleeps and other routine things for her. he is a real handfull he runs as soon as he can get out of the car he listens when he feels like it but that wouldn't be much.

6. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

Diabetes or not, I don't think a 26 month old "needs" preschool. Find some "mommy & me" activities or just take him to the park. If you need daycare, I think he would be better off with more personal care, such as in a private home.

kim

7. Little Diabetic Dude

There are many people who don't believe in preschool at an early age I am not one of those people, I think it gives them routine and fun and teaches them to trust others if anything was to happen to me. But that is just my opinion and not shared by the majority of people, but that is Ok by me. If he is constantly crying for me I would not leave him but he plays with the other kids and joins in dances and so on.
    We do lots on my days off from work but the daily routines often gets in the way of playing with my child.
    I think he needs to be occupied because he doesn't sleep and will just get into trouble. I will wait it out and see what happens and make my decision after a few weeks. Thanks for your help and advice.

8. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

It sounds like he enjoys it. And if that's the case then let him stay. Will someone at the school learn to do his D care? If not, then only go in for the times you need to do the D care and then go home and try to get a little rest if the baby will let you. Sounds like you have your hands full with 4 kids!

It will take time for him to adjust to the new routine of going to school and following their rules. But if he's enjoying it already, it shouldn't take long. As far as him just doing what he wants, that's typical for the age but it is possible to have rules and expectations for him so he's not driving you crazy.

9. Denise

Denise Approved members

I try to use this question. "would I let him/her do it if he/she didn't haved diabetes?" Unless the preschool is not willing to step up with D care, it sounds like you want him to go so I'd say yes, send him.

10. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

If someone at the preschool is willing to at least learn to check BG, you would not have to be there as much. If they learn to do a correction or bolus for food - even better.

I have 6 kids from 6 to 23. :D So, I can relate a bit. My eldest went to preschool at age 3, when I only had 2 children, because a friend was going and she wanted to go too. The next 4 never went. The last child went to preschool beginning at 2 through 4 because I was homeschooling the other 5 children and it gave the youngest some structure and gave the oldest ones a quieter place at home to study.

You have to go with your personal convictions. As I mentioned, some of mine went and some did not.

Well said by Denise AND you said this as well.

Another poster (Aidensmom) said "to go with your gut". As you go through the D journey, this will be a guiding statement. What is right today may change tomorrow - but you will know down deep inside what to do.

Wishing you the best!

11. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I don't think a 26 month old needs a daycare setting. If you want to do activites join a Mom's club or similar group to have play dates and even inside play dates when it rains with play dough or blocks. I had mine at that age in a church preschool because his older brother was there at 4 years old. I had to hang around because they refused to do any testing etc. I think the only thing my 2 year old got out of it was a bunch of bad colds.;)

And it is just me. But, going up there twice to check is work for you. Not much of a break. I think Mom's groups, gymboree, and others might be more of a break and you get a break with the other moms too. Does your diabetes support group meet ?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  12. Toni

Toni Banned

I think since it is only one day a week it is more like an activity than a school. I think it is good to have an activity once or twice a week. But you can always find other activities that are only an hour, like gymnastics or karate, maybe a ceramics class. He is only two. It's up to you. If you find it too stressful this year, find another activity. When he is three, I think that would be a good time to start preschool, he may be ready for it then. A lot of churches, towns have playgroups where you get together with the kids but the Moms are present the whole time. This way they can socialize and you can still keep an eye on him. And he won't feel singled out because all the other Moms will also be present.

13. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I have a 23 month old and I really don't think she is ready for preschool.
    Definitely socialization, but not school.

They have their entire lives to have to be on someone else's schedule. They are only little once, try to enjoy it if you are able to (meaning if you have the choice and don't have to work in an office full time)

Your little one has been through so much with a dx then throw in being 2, which is a HARD age for any kid.

14. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

we've never done preschool with our son. What we have done is different "schools", swim school, gym school. We're sticking with gym school, which is really gymnastics lol. He has learned how to follow directions, take turns, all that stuff plus he burns off a lot of energy. I sit in a room behind a window and watch while sipping coffee and making sure my daughter is behaving. We also go to playgroups once a week for socialization. It seems like he doesn't need as much socialization since adding a sibling into the mix lol.
    With our daughter we might consider preschool when she is 3 or 4 because I know from experience she'll want to go to school like her big brother.
    When my son was 26 months old he couldn't communicate that he was low so preschool would have freaked me out.

15. MamaChrissa

MamaChrissa Approved members

I would try and take D out of the equasion. Would he like it? Would he benifit from it? etc.. If D is the only reason you are hesitant, than I would find a way to make it work.

16. Little Diabetic Dude

Thank you for everyones input it has made me think of where he is at and what is best for him. I have never really left him before and have mostly called things off because it is just too hard but I want to trust people with him but I feel torn cause I think I am the best one who can look after him.
    He woke 3 times last night partly low and would not go to sleep. I then have to get up to work which is always hard.
    The more I think about it I think well maybe wait a year but I sent Ds 2 (non D) last year when he was 2 I think it has helped with his confidence.
    I have joined a church playgroup but I had to leave because I returned to work. We often go to the park but home is where we stay with 4 little kids. We have the play dough, paint I got it out with Ds1 but have not really got it out since have the other 3 it's just all a bit too hard.
    I have to run the house pretty tight and with 4 kids you can imagine I don't know how you do it with 6???I pretty much work 2 days, washing one day cleaning the house the other day and one day I might have to do the shopping which is not a good mix with small kids.
    I have to just wait it out and decide what to do at the end of the trial.Non of mine are at school so you can imagine what my life is like between, sleeping and feeding and household duties I get 2 hrs off late night shopping to have a quiet coffee. I s'pose I just need a break and that it what comes into it too.
    They are will to do D care but they are frightened of him which is understandable. He can sort of talk but I used to looking for signs rather than relying on him talking as he got this so young.
    Yes it is all so hard but I have to accept it and make the best choices for all of us.

17. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Approved members

Our D son has been in nursery/preschool since he was about 10 months old. It has been fantastic. He really enjoys it and gets so much from it.

Initially it was scary putting his care in the hands of others but we quickly relaxed and have complete faith in the staff's ability to check BGs, bolus for feeds and high BGs (he's on a pump) and recognise lows. They actually test more often than we do and if he is high or low or there are any concerns we are just a phonecall away. We have talked them through setting up temp basals over the phone. They are very competent. More than we hoped to be honest.

We both work reasonably close to the preschool so if there is ever a problem we can get there very quickly. This is usually changing sites or replacing his NG tube (he has a nasogastric tube for other non-D reasons).

The hospital have some diabetes nurses who go into schools to train teachers. So the staff at the preschool have some formal training. Is there something similar in Oz?

They are able to pick up signs of lows pretty well, and our son isn't yet talking either.

If you decide to go ahead I'd suggest taking it easy. An hour or two at a time then as your confidence in them grows you'll be happier to leave him longer. Good luck with whatever you decide.

18. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

I think it depends on the personality of your child, whether D is a factor or not. Kat was dx'ed when she was 3 yrs old. I kept her home until kindergarten because the nurse at the school was no good at that time (we had to deal with her that first year but we have had a great one since Kat was in 1st grade). How does your child do without you around? With strangers? Are there any strangers (preschool workers) who know how to care for diabetics and are willing, patient, understanding people who can handle D chaos on top of normal preschool chaos?

19. sneakermom

sneakermom Approved members

Go with your gut on this. We had DD in preschool 2 days a week when she was 2 years old, but I was at the school most of the time with my job. This past year, we decided to keep her home since I was no longer working and couldn't justify the expense. I, too, was selfish and wanted one last year with her home with me. I see benefits and drawbacks to both situations. In this case, do what your heart is telling you is best. You'll make the right decision. If not, there's nothing written in stone. The decision can be un-done.

20. Toni

Toni Banned

Wow, you do have your hands full! Honestly, I think you can do either/or, but I would do whatever is easiest for YOU. If preschool is a three hour period of time that you look forward to getting some downtime or shopping done, you can find a way to safely do it (feed just before and maybe run him a little higher). If you find preschool not worth it to you and it adds more stress to your day, then I would wait. Two is young for preschool anyway so don't feel guilty if you decide not to send him. Your call.