- advertisement -

Is my insulin still good?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by buckmarko, Jun 1, 2012.

1. buckmarko

buckmarko Approved members

I accidentally left an unopened bottle of insulin on my table today while I was at work for 12 hours. (I was filling out camp papers and needed to know what the actual patient label on the container said). It is still sealed in the box. It didn't get above 70 today. Can I put it back in the fridge and use it later? Or do I need to use it now? We just started pumping a week ago and I just opened a bottle last week. Ugh. I'm such a scatterbrain sometimes!
    TIA

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'd mark the boxes, put them in the fridge and use them before any others. But I'd keep an eye on the numbers and be prepared to replace them if need be.

3. Mom2henry

Mom2henry Approved members

I like the advice of the poster above me. My pharmacist claims that hospitals don't refrigerate their insulin, rather they store it, (probably in less than 70 degrees), and dispose it when the expiration date comes. I was worried during a prolonged blackout I had where the insulin was in the refrigerator for 5 days without electricity when he told me that. In my case, the insulin was fine. Good luck!

4. buckmarko

buckmarko Approved members

Thank you. That stuff is precious. I hate to think I lost a whole bottle! I'm going to use it and keep an eye on him.

5. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Insulin is good for 30 days when left out, so use that bottle next.

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

now that you are pumping you will be using allot more with priming the tubing and geting out bubble and changing sites.

If you currently are only getting a bolttle a month I would ask that you RX be increased to be able to receive 2 bottles per montha that would be 1 copay.

7. jessicat

jessicat Approved members

we have always been told we can keep our insulin out. (we don't do that in the hot summer months though.) But for a pumper, isn't the insulin sitting right next to your body going to get almost as warm as your body anyway?? Just wonderning, as we will begin pumping this summer.

8. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

Hi. I work in a pharmacy and we ALWAYS keep insulin in the fridge. If they have been out for more than a few hours, they are only good for 28-30 days.

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

The 30 day thing has more to do with being a room temp AND having the rubber seal punctured repeatedly. A new, sealed vial is most likely not damaged by being at room temp, imho ( and that of my CDE as well, fwiw)

10. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

My CDE has given me samples of Apidra that are definitely room temperature a couple of times. I was pretty suspicious of them--I considered not using them, but who looks a gift of two vials of insulin in the mouth?--but they lasted the full 28 days. I would rather have them fridge cold, and that is where I store insulin (definitely unopened and generally opened, too), but the clinic doesn't seem to think twice about storing them in a cool but not cold place and they worked just fine, so I think you may be correct.