- advertisement -

Is my G4 dying soon?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jensmami, May 22, 2013.

1. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

I'm sure many here are in the same situation, that they have the g4 for 6 months. Does anybody know, how much longer they can last? We are leaving on a trip in a month and I don't want to go without a working Dex. :p

2. Mish

Mish Approved members

I'd probably put in for your replacement now. I thought I read that they do just shut off at the 6 month mark.

3. Diana

Diana Approved members

We've been using ours since Nov 1 and it is still working, so it doesn't automatcially quit at 6 months. I did order another one and have it waiting in the box. Insurance did not question anything.

4. Mish

Mish Approved members

Oh you're kidding! I thought there was this shut off where it would start telling you to replace soon. That's good to know. I wonder what we should look for. I'm only at 4 months and this last two sensors have been going out of range more than before. Though, that out of range is happening far beyond the stated limits of the sensor (through floors and down halls), so I can't really complain much.

Our insurance actually did cover 2 for the year, so I will probably reorder as well, just to have it on hand.

5. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

I am definitely going to order mine this week. But I'm still curious on how the g4 shuts down.....gradually or pretty fast.

6. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

From the manual page 15:

"Once you see the transmitter low battery screen shown on the right, replace the transmitter as soon as possible. Your transmitter battery may drain as quickly as one week after this alert appears."

It seems the system is monitoring battery life. Page 109 of the manual says

"LOW TRANSMITTER BATTERY
    This screen will appear once the transmitter nears
    the end of its battery life (see Chapter 1, Section 1.2, Transmitter Overview). When the transmitter battery is drained low enough the transmitter and receiver will stop communicating. Contact your local distributor to order a new transmitter.
    Your transmitter battery may drain as quickly as one week after this alert appears.
    9.8.4 TRANSMITTER FAILED ERROR CODE
    This screen means that the transmitter is not working. If you get this alert during a sensor session, your sensor session will automatically stop. Contact your local distributor. Continue to check your blood glucose value using your blood glucose meter."