- advertisement -

Is it worth buying a scale which shows nutritional information?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by emm142, Apr 15, 2012.

1. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

Regular digital scale with grams and ounces. We found the more complicated we made it the less it was used.

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Up until recently we had just a plain old kitchen scale. It worked fine, we would do the math, wasn't that big of a deal. I actually still have it tucked away. We do have the Salter now and I have to say it is very nice, though it does take up a bit of counter space.

I'm of the meh category. I could take it or leave it. I wouldn't be heartbroken if I didn't have my Salter, because I have my old scale and can easily navigate the old school waters again easily.

I'd take the money and go buy a pair of shoes or a purse:D

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I like this one!
    One other thing on the salter is that I find the screen a bit hard to read...

4. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

I need that scale. I'm not a math person, have serious serious trouble with numbers. And that includes remembering them. It's been six years for us now and I still have to look up pretty common foods.

I love just weighing it and putting in the type of food and the carbs popping up. I've tried doing carb factors many times even reading tutorials online and just can't get it. This way is much easier for me.

5. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I guess it depends on how familiar you are with carb factors of the foods you eat. We still measure some foods instead of weighing, some we have the CF memorized (the easy ones, like bread), but my brain is like swiss cheese so I'd need a list. The fact that any piece of paper in my house ends up torn, spilled on, or lost/thrown away, for me I'd much prefer the scale with with the nutrition information built right in. That way it's all in one place all the time. The scale we have has the nutrition information, but it requires you to look up codes in the book (if you don't know the CF), which is a bit of a hassle. Next time I buy a scale, I'm probably going to spring for the salter (if I can afford it then).

But......if you are organized, and can keep all those numbers in your head (or won't lose the list), and you always have a calculator nearby (I use the calculator on my cell phone--love it!) then the inexpensive scale will probably do, for you. If I were the diabetic, and had only myself to worry about (and nobody would touch my things), I'd probably get the inexpensive scale. I'm organized...my kids aren't. :)

Hope this helps.

6. KyleBugsMom

KyleBugsMom Approved members

Us, too! It's fantastic and was nowhere near as expensive as a Salter. It also got better reviews.