advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it worth buying a scale which shows nutritional information?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by emm142, Apr 15, 2012.

1. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Just wondering what people here think. We have a salter scale at home which I don't really love (the buttons are hard to press, it's hard to turn on, basically it's several years old and it's on its last legs) and I'm looking to buy one to have at university.

It's inexpensive to buy a standard kitchen scale, but about four times as much to buy one which shows nutritional information. I can't decide whether it's worth it for the ease of use, or whether just bringing a calculator and using carb factors would be fine. For those of you who weigh food regularly, what do you think?

2. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I never had a Salter, and I weigh food at home all the time. I have a huge list of carb factors in an Excel spreadsheet. It's too big to post, and I think the original link I got it from is gone (old ADA site), but I can email it to you, if you'd like.

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

That'd be great, thank you! I'll PM you my email address. :)

4. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

I have the EatSmart Nutrition Scale and absolutely LOVE IT!

5. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

We have two scales, one that shows nutrition info and one that does not. If I were still weighing his food for him, I would use either, no big difference to me. My son though is weighing and measuring his own food now and actually prefers to use the plain digital scale along with the calorie king site.

6. ciarak

ciarak Approved members

I just have a ordinary digital scales and i find that easy to use when working out carbs :)

7. Deal

Deal Approved members

To me carb counts are too important to rely on a scale for. The more often I look something up manually the better chance I have to memorize it. Once in memory I can use it anywhere. If I were to rely on a scale I would become a slave to it and I don't want that. I'm a bit old school on these type of things. I still memorize phone numbers and dial them manually for the same reason.

8. selketine

selketine Approved members

I've had a salter scale for almost 8 years now and it is easy to put the food on there and punch in the info (like for pasta, fruits, etc). For other things like cereal I just weigh it out.

I think it depends on how you eat, how much you cook, etc. If you are cooking for one then you can just weigh out pasta before you cook it, for example.

9. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Where do you look things up, and how do you measure? As much as I eyeball, I still find weighing to be more accurate. I can't tell you how surprised I was to find out the real carb count on a Panera Bread cookie that I'd estimated. I was a good 20g off.

10. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Yes, yes yes. I hate guessing carbs and my daughter's BGs afterwards reflect my weakness. We have a Food Scale and Nutrition Facts+ by Perfect Portions. It has a five year warranty, and the code book is laminated.:eek: The screen on it looks just like the Nutrition Facts on a box. I love having the carbs and fiber counts immediately without other measuring and looking up. We saved the box, so it travels easily if my daughter choses to be specific when going out rather than guessimating.

11. jessicat

jessicat Approved members

We just got this one few weeks ago and love it! But we have been trying to narrow down his carbs and get better about exact counting. It was also nice to have on a recent trip where foods were different than whats at home.

Also my son is getting better at serving himself food with the use of the perfect portions scale.

12. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

We have a nutritional scale, but I never use the database. I found that it often varied from the Calorie King values I have, and I am often left with questions about how it measures foods (fruits with peels, etc.). I'd rather do the calculations myself using nutritional labels and Calorie King and use the scale for simple weighing.

13. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

We have this scale too and love it. It is the size of an iPad but thicker, so I actually use an iPad sleeve to travel with it. I often use this scale as a plain old scale as well as using carb factors. In my opinion it's the best of both worlds (use it as regular scale or nutrition scale).

14. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Only buy them if you will actually use them! I have 2 sets and they are rarely in action...:cwds:

15. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

We weigh pretty much all of Ashleigh's food and drinks. The scales we've used have always been the normal kitchen or postal scales that do not have nutritional value information. I don't find it exceptionally difficult to calculate carbs myself. I actually have a lot of carb factors memorized, especially those foods she eats on a regular basis. And the ones i don't have memorized I have an 8 page print out of carb factors (got it off of this site shortly after diagnosis 2 years ago).

16. lynn

lynn Approved members

What have you been doing? We bought an inexpensive, basic Salter scale at diagnosis. I learned about and used carb factors as well as the simple "carbs per ounce" of many fruits. I always wanted the Salter with the database so I saved my pennies and finally bought it. I was never impressed with it. It seemed like way more of a hassle to punch in the item than to use the memorized carb factors and a calculator. We went back to the simple scale not long ago and I passed the one with a database to my BIL who was just diagnosed with T2 and is struggling with the changes in diet.

All that to say, if you have been going along fine without a database then you may find it is not worth the money.

17. emm142

emm142 Approved members

My last scale had a database, but I've been SWAGing for about 3 years now. :eek:

I think I'm just going to get a basic scale and use a list of carb factors, I did used to get annoyed at the time it took to punch in the food name. :p On my budget, spare pennies = food pennies so I don't think it's worth spending all the extra on something I might not even use.

Thanks for the input everyone!

18. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

We do what you just said. We have a regular scale that shows grams / ounces, and a list with ratios. (food, quantity, weight in grams, carbs) We find that works well, because like another poster said, we like having the common ones memorized. :)

19. Mish

Mish Approved members

we weigh but with a regular scale and I just know the typical carb factors that we normally use. all other foods I can either look up on a phone app or in calorie king.

The nice part is that we've never been tied to one scale.

20. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

That's true. Didn't think about that part. We have 2 scales here in our kitchen, plus one in the car that we can use if we're out and need one. And my parents also bought one for their house when we eat with them.