- advertisement -

Is it just me.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by TripleThreat, Mar 27, 2010.

1. mjtjmcouch

mjtjmcouch Approved members

We don't do it either, but I like the idea.

2. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

I like the idea! We label leftovers and baked goods, but this would be great for when you just have to learn to guesstimate when no scale is available.

3. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

You sound very organized :)

I do write the carbs on DD choices for packing her school lunch. I buy a bunch of choices for her, mark it with a sharpie then store it in extra fridge. I never thought of marking our main food sources. Great idea for little kids!

I am trying a similar idea with her "low" supplies. I mark baggies with how much it will raise her blood sugar. The idea is that before she gets super low, like say 85, she could grab for a few apple chips @ 6pts each and head off the low before it becomes an issue. It's a bit confusing for her though since she's used to thinking in terms of carbs, not BS pts. We'll see...

4. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

No, it's not just you!

I only weigh and label his school lunch. It only takes an extra few seconds for each item, and then it gives him the choice to pick and choose what he eats for morning tea and lunch.

I also label baking with the carb factor if we are going out anywhere. Everything else we wing it.

But I will admit that here at home, we have a whiteboard on the kitchen wall. We have written the carb factors for all the common foods we have and I use it to write carb factors for the foods 'of the moment'. Been doing it since diagnosis and now it's habit.

Anal, I know!:D

5. timnshann

timnshann Approved members

Yup, we used to do it too. It served 2 purposes for us. The first was so that Blake could feel a little more independent if he did want to grab a piece of fruit or pour himself a bowl of (pre-counted) cereal. And the second was to teach him to be able to know common foods by site. It seemed to work great by the way and so I really don't label too much anymore as he has learned carb counts on the most common things he eats by site :)

6. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

This made me smile, because I can totally see myself labeling an apple! :) Great idea! I haven't done it, but it's a great way to allow kids to snack with responsible dosing. :)

7. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

great idea!!
    I used to do this back when I did weight watchers and it made it easier for me, I can see the benefit!!

8. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

We don't label anything, but I do like your idea. I'll use it when I start getting Ian more involved in "carb counting" (well, our own version anyway:rolleyes:).

9. mommylovestosing

mommylovestosing Approved members

We use a whiteboard, too. We write the beginning sugar level and then I write in the carbs she's eating. I'll make her plate up before I put all of it on the table. So much easier then wondering the whole meal if I'm going to forget what she ate.

We have a "15" carb snack basket here of snacks that I have pre-weighed for lunches and such. But starting tomorrow with her pump a "15" carb snack will not longer be needed. She can eat the amount she wants and bolus for it. I'm excited about that. I also mark all of her lunch sides (not necessarily 15 carbs) for easier packing in the AM. This includes fruit and yogurt's in the fridge. I label all that when I take it out of the packages and stck them in the fridge. She makes her own lunch and has also now started filling out her little lunch menu thing I made for her to pack everyday for the nurse. It's helpful!!

10. caspi

caspi Approved members

I think it's a great idea! Good job, Mom! :)

11. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

we don't label anything because Kaylee hasn't really started carb counting.. but I think this is a GREAT idea.. along with some of the other ones I've read here.. Great way to learn to carb count.. we are in the process of looking for total carbs and figuring out how many servings are in a package..

GREAT IDEA!

12. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

My mother did that sometimes during the first year. And I used to do that to my lunches (particularly I wrote on the outside of bananas) when I packed them in the morning.
    But, not anymore.

13. KHM

KHM Approved members

that is a really fantastic idea: I think it would help my husband and non-D daughters:
    a) help their daughter, younger T1 sister, and
    b) direct all of their attention to the nutrient value of foods

We have found SO many learning opportunities around Lindsay's diabetes. She really struggled through kindergarten and most of this year prior to diagnosis and we are in serious catch-up mode to keep her with her age-cohort. I've asked her to learn to read and write her frequent food choices and meal plans and also to learn the carb content of some of the frequent foods. Her addition skills have REALLY improved. And its been a lot easier than almost any sight word game or flash card system we'd tried...she *really* wants to understand and be in charge of her diabetes. I love it.

Here's what she wrote today when we were planning lunch:

1. May I have a grilled ches sandich? 26
    2. May I have an orange? 15
    3. May I have weet thins? 6 = 10
    4. May I have carets? 0!

We're keeping all of her writing/drawing in a binder---some of the stuff is just so amazing... drawings of nutrition labels...her dream label for ice cream: 5g carbs per serving... :)

14. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

That is adorable.

15. Ali

Ali Approved members

Very smart. Needed for your sanity with four. Needed for their growth and understanding of how to eyeball carb counts-eyeballing becomes very very much needed in adulthood. Good job Mom.:)ali

16. sooz

sooz Approved members

Bananas are bananas

What a great idea..I never even thought about it..

Regarding the carb count for apples, I have a similar question about bananas. Does anyone else think that the carb count for bananas in the calorie king book is way too high? We weigh them and everything, but if we use the carb count suggested, Hailey always goes low later. Any thoughts on that? We have been reducing the carbs significantly for bananas. :confused:

17. gatty2010

gatty2010 Banned

I'll look into this, but I think the income limit is like 200,000 or something like that. unfortunately we still qualify. :wink

thanks for the link polliwog, I'll check that out! :thumb

18. Toni

Toni Banned

We label and write out carbs, plan the whole meal, if Grandma babysits. Otherwise we still serve her her all meals. Even snacks, truth be told. She occasionally will grab a snack pack of cookies or bag of chips. Knows very generally the carbs for most of the food she eats, will read labels correctly. I know the carbs of all foods she eats by heart at this point in time. Fruit is weighed and guestimated if scale is not availble using Cal King guidelines. Re: bananas. I use medium size bananas and factor it as 15 grams. I think Cal King would say 20.

19. TerpSteph

TerpSteph Approved members

Interesting idea!

I once read a suggestion on another forum to write the carb factor for snack foods on the box in sharpie. You can then weigh out your serving and calculate the number of carbs you're eating.

20. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

Wow! You are organized. We don't label anything either!