- advertisement -

Is it just me or do Dex G4 sensors not stay on as well?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Charlotte'sMom, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

I have nothing but rave reviews for the G4. It has been so much more accurate than the 7. I love the range. I put it on my nightstand at night and getting more sleep than ever!! :rolleyes:

But these sensors do no stay on nearly as well. I don't think I ever had a Dexcom 7 sensor come off before 7 days, and we usually stretched it to 10 before taking it off ourselves. But Charlotte has had several G4 sensors come off before day 7. About day 5 or so I have to put liquid skin tac all over it and lay the edges back down, which makes a sticky mess all over. It's really annoying. Does anyone else have this problem?

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Yes, from the very first one we inserted. I will usually wipe the edges before we insert with skin tack. Sometimes if we insert high up on the arm I end up putting a strip of over tape within a day. I think it is so weird!

3. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

We also saw this from day 1 and have to use Skin Tac or Mastisol on the back, or apply tape all around it.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We have issues in the summer when she's swimming, but other than that, it hasn't been p roblem. But, I make sure we don't put it on until a few hours after showering (usually put it on before bed) and we use SkinTac both on the sticky part and on the skin. In the summer we have to use tape otherwise we've had it peel off in about 2 days.

5. kirsteng

kirsteng Approved members

We're only on our second sensor, but the first was coming off after 3 days. We taped, that tape came loose by day 5, so we bought a different tape to tape over THAT (hypafix). He ended up so itchy and starting to rash on day 7 that we had to give up and put in a new one in a different location. We're trying arm this time since belly was clearly not a good spot for us.

So annoying! Hoping for the best with the arm...

6. Charlotte'sMom

I'm glad I'm not the only one! (although I wish this wasn't a recurring problem for everyone!) We started out just using IV prep with the 7 sensors. Now I do IV prep and let it dry, then put SkinTac and let it dry. And then glue it back down several days later with more SkinTac when it starts to peel up. :mad:

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

8. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

yep, we have to put extra tape on day 1. Never had this problem with Seven plus

9. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Our first one started coming off early so we had to tape. Since then we just tape from day one and we've lately been getting about 15-18 days out of a sensor.

10. swellman

swellman Approved members

We haven't seen an issue and he's swimming 4 days a week for an hour non-stop each day and we still get 7 days. If we tape over we might get a few extra days.

11. Charlotte'sMom

What kind of tape are you guys putting over it?

12. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We use Hypafix. My daughter prefers it because it dries out after baths, etc.

13. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We use oposite flex fix (I think that's what it's called). We just cut a hole out for the transmitter and tape over.

14. Dave

Dave Approved members

My boy is allergic to everything .... but not Johnson and Johnson tough pads. You use a hole punch and tape the G4 onto the tough pad, then tape the tough pad to the arm, then do the plunger insertion.

15. CharlieJ

CharlieJ New Member

I've also used Opsite Flexifix tape around the sensor, with a layer of IV Prep prior to insertion (both were reasonably priced on Amazon). SkinTac caused an adverse reaction, but everyone is different.

If anyone uses SkinTac successfully, please PM me as I would be happy to send it to you. I have a full box (less the 2 pads we tried) I bought earlier this year.