- advertisement -

Is honeymooning a good thing?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by JeremysDad, Jan 18, 2010.

1. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

Okay, I'm new to all of this and my DD is still honeymooning. Having more lows than highs and am able to give her more uncovered snacks to help bring her lows up. So far, I am finding her honeymoon phase less stressful than I thought it would be.

However, I was reading the posts about the c-peptide in natural insulin. Is this something you can give like a supplement to compensate when she is not producing natural insulin any longer?

2. Mikker

Mikker Approved members

Personally, we're loving the honeymoon phase. The greatest advantage is that the margin of error is so large. With a 1:40 I:C ratio... if we miscalculate 10 or 20 grams at any given meal, we're only talking about 1/2u of insulin. The impact on his bg's is insignificant.

Under 100 bg and a 15-20 gram snack on the fly? No problem...

With full blown T1, a 10 gram miscalculation could mean a full unit of insulin and could result in a 50 or more point change in bg values. Let's not even get into the dramatic increase in bg fluctuations due to hormones, growth spurts, exercise, etc, and all the other external factors that can impact bg values.

3. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

Wow, lots of opinions with a definite bias towards the positives of honeymooning. One thing that did not occur to me and that is when your pancreas is still making insulin, AKA honeymooning, it is still regulating itself, to a smaller degree, based on your BG level. This sounds like why there are less extremes (highs and lows) when honeymooning.

Ok, makes sense to me now.

4. Kimby

Kimby Approved members

We had a short honeymoon, and it did seem unpredictable. If he ate pizza one day, he had what we nicknamed, "Mad pancreas syndrome" and his BGs would run high for about 3 days! Now that the "honeymoon" is over, we have better A1Cs and better carb ratios!

5. buggle

buggle Approved members

When Brendan went into a really strong honeymoon, it was a gift. It felt like he didn't really have diabetes and we had time to adjust and catch our breath before learning real management.

6. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

For us, I hated the honeymoon and thought the name was a cruel joke. Ava's pancreas would shoot out insulin sometime after midnight and drop her 200 points. So we'd have to send her to bed at 300, then wait for the drop and give her some formula at about 2 or 3 am.

Now I can actually send her to bed at a reasonable number and not have her pancreas through a surprise party.

7. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I think his honeymoon period has been good for us. I don't know if we are still honeymooning or not - his TDD would suggest yes - 8 units and he is 60 pounds. However, in the last year, his tdd has increased from 4 units to 8 units (gradually). The frustration we have is figuring out what is causing the highs - was it the type of food, the way we bolused, etc. because we never had to think about that before.

The other change I had to make this year was to be more agressive faster to get his BG back into range. Endo use to have me wait 4-5 days to make sure there was a good pattern before a change, now I adjust within 1-2 days....that may just be my confidence growing over where it was in the beginning?????

His sensitivity to insulin is more of an issue for us than his "honeymoon".

8. lynnh

lynnh Approved members

I, too, was under the impression early on in the diagnosis of my 2yo dd that the honeymoon complicated things. It doesn't. It's just as everyone else has already said. But it feels so crazy when you first have the diagnosis because everything is so new and overwhelming. It will get easier. Then, when the honeymoon ends, I suppose, it will get harder, then it will get easier again as you adjust to the "new normal"......:cwds:

9. Toni

Toni Banned

As it turns out, I do not regret her not getting into Herald's study -- though I thought some had extended honeymoon for a few years. But nothing in our D Center was up regarding Diamyd (which would have been a very wise choice); our center was participating in Herald's research. The period of time was so short... we were already two months into a minor honeymoon. I should have researched further.

10. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

The thing to remember is the pancreas can still make some insulin, just not ALL it needs. The critical ability is that is can turn off when necessary, on a dime. A shot cannot.

Let's say the body needs 10u a day, but the pancreas is only capable of producing a total of 8u. Giving at least 2u by shot gives the pancreas almost its "full range of motion" and can control the BGs quite excellently.

I never had the problem with the "pancreas spitting out extra insulin" -- to some degree I don't believe that anymore. I think what it was is: the basal given by shot was, for whatever reason, too high at the moment.

Continuing the above example... that 2u/day by shot translates into about 0.08u/hour. If, for whatever reason, the body's basal needs go below that, even temporarily, then there is excess basal in the system and you can go low. Insulin sensitivity changes all the time due to factors like mood and exercise, so I honestly believe that honeymooning lows aren't caused by the pancreas, but by the intense variability of basal needs.

So it's a tradeoff. By giving 3u day (of the 10 above), we give the pancreas more of a break, and perhaps extend the honeymoon longer. But we reduce our safety zone in preventing lows, since the body cannot subtract out any of those 3u a day.