- advertisement -

Is emla cream available OTC?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by joyfulheart, Jan 1, 2009.

1. joyfulheart

joyfulheart Approved members

I asked doc's office for a perscription of the emla cream before the next set of bloodwork, nurse swears it's OTC, but I cant find it... I thought it was perscribed?

Where do ya'll get your EMLA cream?

Thanks!

2. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

I thought it was all prescription.

3. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

NO, you must get a script from any dr.

LMX4 is otc, but it didn't work for us ELMA did

4. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

The endo office puts the emla cream on Tyler for his blood draws when we get to the office.

5. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

We use LMX4. It works for Chris. He covers it with tegaderm for at least 30 minutes. It is available OTC and costs $45.00 per tube. If your insurance covers EMLA, it may be a better deal, but does require a prescription.

Chuck

6. peytonsmom

peytonsmom Approved members

We use LMX-4 cream. It's made of 4% lidocane. We put on a dime size and cover it with saran wrap for 35 minutes, works like a charm..I didnt need a perscription, but it was behind the counter and the pharmasist had to get it for me...pricey though! $69 for a tube at CVS. The tube will last a couple months, but next time, Im going to get a perscription to save money.

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

ELMA is definitely by perscription only.. there are other types you can get OTC, but EMLA definitely prescrip.

8. 2ladybugs

2ladybugs Approved members

We use a generic version of EMLA. It's by prescription only. We have used EMLA and the generic works just as well. Since it's generic, it costs less than $15 per tube.