- advertisement -

Is Celiac even possible?

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by cynth873, Jan 30, 2010.

1. cynth873

cynth873 Approved members

I'm not looking for a diagnosis, but rather just have a few questions.
    Is it possible for my 17 year old daughter to have Celiac if no one else in the family does? There is no family history anywhere that I know of. She does have at least one of the antibodies for Type 1 Diabetes, and my son has T1D.
    I have had several people tell me to not even bother getting her blood work done since it's not even possible for her to have Celiac.

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Yes, it is possible. Absolutely NO one in our family, other than Kaylee, has celiac.. They think she has it because its connected to T1, so she got the lucky straw on both accounts.. and since your son has T1 and she has some antibodies, then she surely could have celiac..

I know people that have kids with celiac but no t1 or celiac dx any where else in the family.

3. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I have a friend whose mother has had Celiac for a long time. Just last year her daughter was diagnosed with t1 and now they think their 5 year old son might have Celiac.

4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Yes it's possible with no family history.

The thing that tends to rule it out is a gene test (about three hundred dollars), and about 60% of people will have genes that make it almost (but not quite) impossible that they'll get celiac. But having the genes does not mean you get celiac, so it's possible to have no family history.

P.S. And it's also possible to have a family history without anybody having ever been diagnosed.

5. cynth873

cynth873 Approved members

Thanks!
    I took her to the pedi as she has been complaining of headaches, belly pain, gas along with a few other things. I asked the dr if she should have a blood test done for Celiac, and she looked at me like she didn't know the word. For every complaint my daughter had, she had an explanation for it.
    She agreed to give me orders for the blood work, but then I had others (self proclaimed experts--who don't have Celiac) tell me to not even bother, if her dad or I don't have it, she can't. :rolleyes:
    I hope she doesn't have it, but if she does, I'd rather know it asap. If she doesn't, we still need to figure out what is going on with her, as she is not a complainer.

6. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

Basically, if there are any autoimmune diseases in the family, there could be others. And it doesn't matter if the parents have any of them or not.

If her symptoms fit, I'd get her bloodwork done.