- advertisement -

Is buying Walmart insulin cheapest?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ecs1516, Oct 22, 2011.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I have a friend with no insurance. Ran out of Humalog(n Sat.)
    Can't you buy insulin at Walmart really cheap? Would it be like Humalog?

2. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

Regular and nph can both be bought over the counter anywhere for substantially less than the analogs. Walmart has a relion brand of these for much cheaper (I've done it before and I think that it was about $25 a bottle, though that was a number of years ago). Humalog would still be expensive and require a prescription. Walmart may be cheaper than a regular chain pharmacy. Costco is also substantially less expensive than cvs, they also have a discount program for people without insurance.

3. Jake's mom in NC

Jake's mom in NC Approved members

Maybe check at the local hospital outpatient pharmacy. There is a non for profit hospital in our area that sells humalog/novalog for six dollars for either a box of 5 quick pens or a box of two vials. It's a little bit of a trip for us but they will sell a 3 month supply, so it's worth it.

4. Momto3

Momto3 Approved members

The last day at Camp Independence this year, the staff was giving away insulin and told us anything we didn't take would be brought to the free clinic to give to folks who couldn't afford insulin or supplies.

Maybe a call to the American Diabetes Association would help your friend get free or less expensive insulin. It's a worth a try.

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

You can get Regular for roughly $70/vial from Walgreens (I do).

The company that makes Humalog, Eli Lilly, has a patient assistance program that will send free Humalog to your endo if you are uninsured and at less than three times the poverty line.
    http://www.lillytruassist.com/Pages/AboutLillyCares.aspx

6. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

That's a fabulous link. The income limit for a family of 5 is over $70,000 a year. That qualifies a lot of people, and it's not just insulin -- other medicines are on the list, and one of them is glucagon.

That's really impressive.

7. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

That is awesome Jonah - thanks for sharing it! I know a guy that lost coverage and doesn't qualify for state assistance...I'm sending him your link right now!

To the OP - another friend of mine works for Catholic Social Services here and told the guy (mentioned above) about a free pharmacy for people in need. So I'd recommend checking with local charitable organizations and see if there might be something like that in your area as well. Good luck!

8. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I really think that patient assistance programs can be of wonderful help. I think it is worth the effort to at least apply for the program. The worst they can say is no and most programs are sliding scale based. I am on a similar program called Charity Care and it pays for all of my medical care including prescriptions. One can even apply if the have insurance. As far as I am concerned every little bit helps. Filling out the paperwork is worth it. The one thing I have found out is that each program is different so one has to do their own research but it is still worth it.

9. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

This is very true, and keep in mind that you don't have to be Catholic or Christian or even religious at all to use Catholic Social Services, they are run for the whole community.

10. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

i notice that Elli program offers glucagon for free too.

11. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

12. MTMomma

MTMomma Approved members

N

I can confirm that Walmart sells "N" or NPH insulin for $24.88 a vial. I know that because of our son but our black lab. (Yes both have D) We have checked other places with prices that vary from $55 to over $90 for it.