- advertisement -

Is blue the official color of diabetes?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Tracy1918, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Tracy1918

Tracy1918 Approved members

I'm going to paint my fingernails that color this month. I know people will think I'm a freak and ask. Then I get to tell them hiw much we need a cure!

2. manda81

manda81 Approved members

I could be wrong, but from the way I understand it, World Diabetes Day is Blue, but I Juvenile Diabetes/T1 is the gray ribbon.

So I guess, blue is for ALL diabetics, grey for T1.

I could be way off. Don't hold me to this. *haha*

3. Tracy1918

Hmmm....and I heard some group was trying to do orange. It's so confusing!

We need a color.....like pink is for breast cancer.

4. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

I think world diabetes day is blue, the awareness ribbon is grey-it better be cause that is what is tattooed on me lol.

5. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

no kidding... that tat of mine isnt gonna change :eek:

6. joshuasgranny

joshuasgranny Approved members

Gray is such a yucky color for an awareness color..I mean, I know T1 is horrible in itself, but gee whiz, you would think they (whoever "they" are) could have come up with a better color for awareness. After all, Breast Cancer is horrific, but the awareness color for it is a cheerful pink.

Susan

7. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

The Awareness Ribbon is a Silver Grey, WDD is a blue circle, have no idea why, maybe for Type 2?

8. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

The blue is for the blue circle

http://www.diabetesbluecircle.org/

The grey is for awareness. Thought his was pretty neat:

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/services/robbrennersletter.htm

9. Tracy1918

It's kind of confusing to have different colors......

Either way....my nails are now blue and I'm talking about it. I guess that's all that matters. :)

10. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

oooh I like the cloud analogy, probably cause I want clouds around the tat I have to make a sleeve on that side.

11. 2boysmom

2boysmom Approved members

Love the blue fingernails idea! I am going to copy it!:)

12. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

Everyone recognizes pink as the universal breast cancer color. That goes back to 1991, when the ribbons were first handed out and that color was adopted universally the following year. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_ribbon)

Diabetes, however, has no color universally. There's too much confusion, which actually coincides with many of the misconceptions and myths out there. Blue appears to have the strongest backing and acceptance.

- The JDF (now the JDRF) was founded in 1970 and has historically used Blue mostly as its corporate color, with some other colors such as red weaved in depending on the program/event.

- Blue is also the color adopted by the International Diabetes Foundation since 2007 and associated with World Diabetes Day, through the Blue Circle that's based on UN and unity.

- The American Diabetes Association is pretty much red, and they've been around since 1940. Current volunteer-style structure since 1970. The red mostly revolves around the blood drop, an often-used logo for the organization that originally was formed to focus on Type 1 and then through the decades has moved to what many consider more of a Type 2 focus (even though ADA leadership disputes that).

- The Gray Ribbon appears to have come to be in the mid-90s, possibly 1997, as detailed within the online walls of these CWD Forums. Yes, it looks like the one-day "silver lining to the gray diabetes storm cloud" was at the heart of it. Some of these gray ribbons vary, and have red stones/colors in the middle to symbolize the blood drops. (http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/services/robbrennersletter.htm).

- The non-profit Diabetes Sisters organization has created this year a campaign that it calls Orange: Will, designed to help make orange the official color of women with diabetes. Basically, it's going the breast cancer awareness route and trying to establish that color for the D-Sisters of the world. (http://www.diabetessisters.org/blog-central/directors-blog/968-the-meaning-of-orange