- advertisement -

Is a small chest freezer cost effective?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by KeltonsMom, Mar 8, 2009.

1. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

I have a friend who has asked me if I would be willing to keep their small chest freezer in my home, and I would be able to use it to keep my frozen foods in..

There is no question that I can keep it full, I plan on cooking meals and putting the leftovers in the freezer to have for dinner at a later date.

I am even considering getting vacuum sealer so I can seal meats and veggies to put in the freezer.

I am doing everything I can to reduce my electric bill, so I was wondering if having a small energy efficient chest freezer would make a big hit on my bill..

2. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

The only I don't like about mine is it's not frost free. I also have a large upright freezer and a large fridge with large freezer in the garage. I really do like to buy in bulk. The vacuum sealer is a great idea too! There's only 2 of us too!

3. KeltonsMom

Frost Free might be a must have since the only place I can put the freezer is in the dining room..:eek: Unless I can hook up a hose to the drain and have the water go into a container for watering the garden..

I cannot afford to have anything go to waste.

4. amieelynne

amieelynne Approved members

it's going to matter how old the freezer is...I replaced a smallish chest freezer with a large standing freezer and didn't see an increase in my electric bill because the old freezer was about 7 yrs old and not very energy efficent. IMO..rule of thumb, if the freezer is over 5 yrs old it becomes a question of need to use vs. costing money to use. meaning--you'll save money by buying food in bulk and freezing meals--but you are probably going to take a hit (even if it is a small one) on your electric bill for running an older freezer. the style makes a difference too...if it's not frost free it'll use more electricity too (or so I was told).

I definately couldn't live without my freezers--yes, s as in more than one. I have a french door fridge in my kitchen, a side by side in the basement along with a standing freezer. I shop at the butcher once every 2 months. I clean, trim fat and divide the meat into ready to use portions--sometimes adding the marinade to the meat before freezing--and then vacuum seal for use later. I buy in bulk at BJ's wholesale club, local grocery stores during sales and clip coupons...I save a ton of money and still manage to put a real meal on the table at least 5 nights a week ;-)

5. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

I think you could probably call your electric company and ask what it would increase it, I'm pretty sure they have charts that will give you a ballpark figure.

We have a large chest freezer that is always in use & a small chest freezer that we plug in & fill when we send a cow to the butcher shop. I've never noticed much of a difference in the electric bill. I've also found that foods stored in the chest freezer keep so much better & longer that those kept in the freezer compartment of the fridge.

6. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

We only have to defrost about 1x a year for the small chest freezer, and a couple towels does the trick, and we didn't notice a difference when we got it in our hydro bill, it was sold with the energy saver label

7. Mistync991

Mistync991 Approved members

we got one about 8 years ago and i dont remember ours going up if that helps any ...i think as long as its not an old old one you should be good

8. KeltonsMom

I was told that the freezer is only a month old..So, it should be good on electricity..

Once I get it I can stock up on meats and veggies and put them all in vacuum sealer bags..

It will be good to only have to buy things like milk, eggs, and cereal.

9. amieelynne

amieelynne Approved members

then by all means--go for it. you might also want to take a look at some cookbooks that address meal prep/planning. I've had these on my own wishlist for awhile--for some new ideas. I fix and freeze a few times a month to make things simple on nights I have a late class or when we have activities--major timesaver

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

10. KeltonsMom

These are great!! Thank you so much for posting these links!!:)

11. bz'smom

bz'smom Approved members

We have 2 upright freezers in our basement. One is older than I am that we bought used when we first were married, and it is still going strong. We freeze a lot of stuff, and buy in bulk at Sam's club. We bought one of those Reynold's Handi-Vacs, and they work great. My dh is always sucking the air out of the zipper bags with a straw (which grosses me out...I hate raw meat!) He thinks the Handi-Vac is the greatest thing ever! :rolleyes:

My parents bought us a vacuum sealer for Christmas one year (might have been Daisy brand, I can't remember) but it was a piece of junk. I'm sure they improved them a lot more since we got that one, but I thought I would throw the Handi-vac out there, if you don't want to spend much money on one. I think you can go to their website & get a coupon for a starter kit, too.

12. Tori's Mom

Tori's Mom Approved members

http://www.30daygourmet.com/

Try this one as well. This is a GREAT book. Plus, once you have the book, it gives you a code to use online to get a bunch of additional recipes, info and so forth.

13. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Chest freezers in your basement are very efficient, because they don't lose heat as fast as freezers that open on the side. In your garage it needs to work a bit harder in the summer.

If it's half-empty or near empty, fill it with something solid. It's a lot harder to cool air, than something with a lot of thermal mass like ice.

14. JacksonsMom

JacksonsMom Approved members

Do you do as this suggest and cook 20 to 30 meals at a time to stock the freezer or do you just use the recipes. I'm not sure I would do my cooking that way but I would like a good reference for freezing (what freezes well, what doesn't, how long do things keep etc.)