- advertisement -

Is a "closed-loop" CGM and Pump a Cure?

Discussion in 'Stickies' started by Sarah Maddie's Mom, Jan 6, 2010.

?

Is a "closed-loop" system a cure?

Poll closed May 6, 2010.
  1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. No

224 vote(s)
    96.1%
  3. I don't know

5 vote(s)
    2.1%
  1. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Of course that was not the intent, but it is clear that people do get upset when mechanical devices are referred to as a possible "cure."
    I am just saying that might explain why someone voted "no" 90 times!

Jeff - I think this does raise the point, though, that the front page polls are not really useful unless duplicate votes are automatically ignored.
    And how can you know for sure if a vote is duplicate, if a person has dyamic IP? There is really no way to know if their IP address changes every 10 minutes like with some DSL connections. I think the polls need to be member-only, or they will have little meaning.

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I'm glad the misunderstanding about multiple voting was cleared up. I was afraid that people would mistake the poll in this thread as "false".

Anyway, I do agree that you can't just put the word "cure" next to "AP" and not expect passionate reactions. This concerns our kids, our husbands, ourselves. It is very misleading to put those words together.

A cure means just that - getting rid of something forever. It saddens me that it's being associated with the AP. The AP is not a cure. It is simply a very advanced technological band-aid. The HUGE wound would still be there.

Would I welcome the AP? Heck, yes. It would be a tremendous step in D management.

But it is/will not be THE CURE.:(

3. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

I absolutely agree. I don't view it as a cure either but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like it. Any advancement in D care is a good thing.

4. Toni

Toni Banned

I am relieved to read this. Since I can't trust cgms readings all the time, the fact that the AP will not aggressively correct highs, is good. Although I have had two instances where she went very low, Dex was 80 or 90 points off, not reading the low at all; hence not beeping. I just read somewhere the AP will use TWO sensors to verify readings?:eek: Looks like this will take a while to bring to market........

And "AP" and "cure" should not be used in the same sentence. Of course new technology is welcomed. Endo at dx in the hospital was talking about the AP and the Nurse CDE was talking about islet transplantation.... Both referred to these technologies as "cures." I would consider both therapies.

5. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

In 100% agreement and the money my friends and family have raised and want to continue to donate is money we'd like to go towards a cure not an artificial pancreas (repeating that the technology advancements are celebrated). :cwds::cwds:

6. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Just one more thing.

There is such a psychological impact with the word cure. It gives us hope.
    And to use it in reference to an apparatus which won't cure anything, it chips away at the core belief that one day we will see T1 D out of the window forever.

We are, of course, free to choose to whom our donations go, and we have some "power" in convincing close family and friends to donate likewise for research for a cure.

If nothing else, it's a great marketing choice of words. I hope when it is ready to go, the AP lives up to its promise. Otherwise, there'll be even more "passionate" people about it.;)

7. buggle

buggle Approved members

There are definitely professional marketers behind this whole thing. It might be backfiring with us, but who knows how it's going over with the general public and the T1s and families who aren't on this forum.

Reminds me of, "We have always been at war with Eurasia." A cure now equals a fancier version of what you already have that ensures massive profits perpetually.

I would think that advocating for people suffering from a chronic disease might include ensuring that the people have access to the basics to stay alive. Has anyone seen any of the big diabetes orgs lobbying Congress and the White House for price controls on drugs -- especially drugs like insulin that are required for survival? I don't know if they have, but I sure haven't seen it. This is another issue with having the pharma execs run the supposed advocacy foundations. It's not in the interest of their companies to support affordable drug prices for their members, many of whom are suffering because they can't afford insulin and strips. J&J is a member of PhRMA, the lobbying org who cut a deal with the WH not to allow Canadian drug imports or any price control. JDRF lobbies hard for stem cell research. Why not lobby for affordable insulin to keep people alive and healthy? Instead, we see donations going for corporate R&D.

8. wilf

wilf Approved members

The insulin is not what drives up costs of managing Type 1 diabetes - it's the test strips.

9. buggle

buggle Approved members

There are people here who can't afford either. They ration the insulin and don't eat and run high. Insulin costs a lot more here than there. A pack of novolog penfill cartridges are about $170US.

ETA: That's our contract price with insurance. Just looked up prices on the web and it's closer to $200.

10. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

11. buggle

buggle Approved members

Typical of the entire industry, Michelle. :(

12. Ashti

Ashti Approved members

Wow, what a difference.

Just looked up our receipts and over the counter our Novolog penfill set of 5 cartridges are $61 Canadian.

(NPH and Toronto Regular set of penfill cartridges are $43 Canadian, and a set of Lantus is $99.)

And the currencies are pretty close right now (US/Can= 1.0294).

Right now, because we use so many insulins and so many injections a day, I think our costs are divided pretty evenly with half going to test strips, and the other half going to insulin and syringes. If our cost of insulin tripled that would hurt!

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Nope, not around here. In our pharmacy they run about the same - $100+ for either a box of strips or a vial of Novolog.

14. wilf

wilf Approved members

Wow, what a difference between our 2 countries!

15. buggle

buggle Approved members

If you can't pay for it or have insurance, you're out of luck. Tough for you.

16. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

When the polio vaccine became available when I was a little girl, everyone in my neighborhood went to the public school to line up to receive their vaccine for free. If the AP is going to be considered a "cure" by major industry, will it be offered free of charge to all T1's ? How can a medical device that will be so life changing not be available to everyone who needs it?

17. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I guess I am confused. Which major industries have called the AP a cure? I have not seen that in any of the press releases or articles I have read....

18. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

Sorry for my use of the word "cure" sustitute "life changing technology." My question is unchanged-how could it not be offered to everyone?

19. My_Dana

My_Dana Approved members

20. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

The JDRF's website mission statement reads "The mission of JDRF is to find a cure for diabetes and its complications through the support of research."

I think what many of us are questioning is why the JDRF would give 8 million dollars of our donations to Johnson & Johnson, when J&J (and other for-profit companies such as Minimed, Dexcom, Insulet, Abbot, etc) have ample funds to carry on this research without our JDRF donations.

Researchers, on the other hand, who are trying to find the cure that has long been touted in JDRF's mission statement, have no profit stream from which to fund their research, the rely solely on grants from either the government or from the JDRF. As one of many donors to the JDRF, I would prefer to see my donations fund efforts that have a shot at leading to a cure, such as research into immune system therapies, islet cell implants, etc.

We already have pumps and CGM's, so we can already do everything that the "AP" project promises with the possible exception of trusting these same devices to closed loop computer control - something that few people will be willing to do anyway once they experience the practical realities of sensor and pump site reliability.

We donated to the JDRF to a cure, or at least something that relieves us of being dependent on insulin 24/7 for life - and that is still what the JDRF should remain focusd on in my opinion, both in terms of funding and public relations.