- advertisement -

Is 70 (3.9) low?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kiwiliz, Sep 5, 2010.

1. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

There is some discussion about the magic number "70". When we started pumping our educator said we shouldn't bother treating low until we got around that level - and even then not to panic because a non-diabetic person who wakes in the morning and goes for a little walk can be around 3.8 ie. under 70. Are there any studies about this?

2. wilf

wilf Approved members

I think you'll get different answers depending on the age of the children. But for a teen, 70 is not low. I'm happy if DD is 70 before breakfast, as long as I'm sure she didn't go lower overnight. :cwds:

3. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

70 is low for Sam because all it will take is 5 minutes of him running around to drop that number even lower. We treat a 70 at all times unless he is just sitting down to eat.

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

70 isn't a low for my son, unless he has a lot of IOB without any food on board at the same time.

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I read a study that said that about 10% of non-diabetic people wake up in the mornings with blood sugar below 70. It is not a harmful number.
    The reason that I almost always eat with a number of 70 is that my blood sugar can drop in a way that a non-diabetic's blood sugar won't. The number definitely doesn't make me panic or even really worry, but I do eat for it.

Some studies:
    In this study of 142 healthy youth, the fasting blood sugar ranged from 3.55 to 5.55 mmol.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19705616

In this study of more than 400 normal 3rd graders, the mean fasting blood glucose for girls was 78.4 with a standard deviation of 8.5, which means that if the distribution was normal (which it might not have been), then about 1/4 of the girls had fasting blood glucose of 70 or below.
    http://www.nature.com/oby/journal/v15/n8/full/oby2007254a.html

In this study the mean was quite a bit higher.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17517203

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

A very important point.

7. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I agree, however on the flip side, if I am lounging around, I'm okay hanging out at 70... if I am planning on going somewhere, or know I'll be active soon, I will treat it, but moderately.

8. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Seth's goal was to be between 80-150 at dx'd. Once he turned 9 or 10 the 80 got moved down to 70. I hope this helps :)

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

For us, 70 is never concerning unless he's hitting it on the way down to something lower. I generally don't let him hang out in the 70s, though, since there is very little margin of error when he's running that low.

10. wilf

wilf Approved members

This is what I would like to have said - it reflects our approach. We always give some carbs to boost DD up from 70.

11. Ali

Ali Approved members

Agree, agree,agree. As a long time T1, a 70 is a concern because no matter how you are testing: BG alone, CGM alone or BG and CGM; you need to bring that BG up to prevent a possible future lower number. An 80 and stable you may leave alone, a 70 with a soon to be eaten food leave alone, a 70 in the middle of a day, pre activity, not near a meal etc. feed it.But try and not feed it not too much if you do not have much IOB around. That is where that (IOB) pump feature is very helpful or that mental calculation for how much to feed a low and make up for uncovered insulin in the system. Never easy is it.:rolleyes:Ali
    I actually feed a 70 a small bit even with a meal coming up to avoid an in between low. So if I test and have a 70 I will eat a 4g glucose tab, bolus for my meal, wait to eat depending on my insulin type, 0 t0 15 minutes apidra, 10 to 20 minutes humolog.novolog. And then eat my meal. Or I will eat a snack and bolus for less than 10 grams of it to compensate for the low if a meal is not soon to be eaten. The trick is not over treat lows. But watch because some lows really do need that bigger correction and this is where the CGMS helps. Ali Sorry, I have been at this for a long time and it really is 90% of the time not clear cut. Insulin sites, hormones, age of insulin, correct or incorrect crab calcs, all make it so hard to adjust for any specific high or low BG.Oh how we wish for the actual human pancreas and all its wonderful qualities.:cwds::eek:ali

12. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

70 is a low here and is treated with a fast acting..only because Amanda will drop quicky from there..and I will give her a snack or feed her if its meal time...No activity til she comes up..

13. cpm122

cpm122 Approved members

We treat anything in the 70's as a "mini-low". We treat but normally with just a regular snack. Our CDE said stomach motility drops when you are below 70 - so anything below 70 gets fast acting (preferably liquid) glucose. Anything in the 70's gets a small snack. Since his target during the day is 100 the pump will automatically do a negative correction so he usually gets the whole snack uncovered but if he wants a larger snack there might be a little insulin to cover but enough of the snack goes uncovered to bring the 70 up closer to 100.

14. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

we treat 70 as a minor low, because as others have pointed out that number could be dropping. Definitely give carbs for a 70 and dose 15 minutes after she started eating.

For a 70 we will suspend the meter if we have to wait to eat.

Is it dangerous? we were told 70 to 150 is safe zone.

15. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Thankyou everyone. Yes Wilf - I think you are right - the younger the child the more cautious you have to be. That was a very interesting cpm122
    Omo2three - I don't think it is dangerous - I was just wondering why we all use the "above 70 is ok" approach - and I think cpm122 just answered that with the idea that it is harder for the body to absorb carbs once bg drops below 70. Thanks again to everyone.:)

16. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

This is pretty much how we handle a 70. Even at 65, for example, right before a meal, we won't treat, but will underbolus. Otherwise, we do treat.

17. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

http://clinical.diabetesjournals.org/content/24/3/115.full

This is a good article.