- advertisement -

irritated with friends lack of understanding...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by gboysmom, Jun 15, 2011.

1. gboysmom

gboysmom Approved members

A good friend of ours wanted Griffen to go to the water park tomorrow with all the other boys and no parents. I tried to explain that even though we all have season passes I wasn't ready to let him or his brother go unattended. She tried to reason with her niece working tomorrow. One, I don't know her niece and two she doesn't know Griffen or anything about t1. Why in the world is the difficult to understand?

Vent is over...thank you :rolleyes:

2. Lee

Lee Approved members

I honestly think 9 is to young to go solo anyway, d or no d - so if you are looking for kudos, you found them here :)

3. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I agree with Becky.

And the niece is working there...not babysitting her cousins and their friends!

4. swellman

swellman Approved members

Especially at a water park.

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

That would be way out of my comfort zone even for my older non-d child. Some people are much more laid back about allowing their kids to go places without adult supervision but thats a very personal thing. I would just say "Thank you for thinking of him but he is not old enough yet"

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Way out of my comfort zone.

The niece is employed by the park to work for them, not to babysit and keep an eye out for kids of family and friends.

The park lets kids go in that young without supervision? Seems odd to me.

7. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

A group of 9 year old boys just dropped off at a water park with no direct adult supervision??? Sorry I wouldn't drop a group of 9 year old boys anywhere alone! In my book, that's just an irresponsible decision on the parent, talk about setting your kids up to get into trouble!!:eek:

In this case diabetes doesn't even weigh into the decision.

8. minniem

minniem Approved members

I would never let my almost 9 year old DS go to a waterpark unsupervised...diabetes or no diabetes. Some people just don't get it.:cwds:

9. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I definitely agree with the others. A 9 year old is not old enough to go to some event with no Adult supervision. And just because this person's niece will be there doesn't mean she is able or willing to watch a group of 9 year old boys. This has nothing to do with diabetes at all.

10. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

I wouldn't let my 11 y.o. non-d go without some sort of parental supervision! I totally stand by your decision!! :)

11. MamaTuTu

MamaTuTu Approved members

9 is too you with or without T1 IMO good for you for sticking to your guns!

12. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Perhaps its because you guys are managing things so well, it doesn't seem like a big deal? In any case, I agree with the prior posters about the lack of supervision irrespective of D.

13. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

I met a friend of mine at a water park yesterday with her daughter and step daughter. All the girls are 10 and 11 years old. As previously stated, there is no way in you know where that I would let my daughter go to a water park by herself, d or no d.

As a side note, the water park was very gracious in letting me store DD's pump and test kit in their office where it was cooler, as it reached 110 degrees here yesterday.

14. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Wow.. letting 9 year-olds go to a water park unattended??? I'm really surprised that many parents would do this, D or no D.

When I was a kid, every time we went to the pool you'd see a kid slip over on the wet floor and hit their head. Parents really do need to be at these places for supervision.

15. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

I personally wouldn't let my now 13 year old go to a water park with no adult supervision....D or not. :eek::eek:

16. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

You should see the pervs that are lurking around at the local water park. Not a chance in hell I'd let a 9 year old go unattended.

17. millyyates

millyyates Approved members

I've got older kids and a 12 year old. My experience has been always go with your initial gut feeling. If it doesn't sound right and you get talked into something often you regret it.

As they get older they will try and talk you into many things. Get them used to hearing the word "no" early and don't change your mind unless the arrangements change eg a responsible adult is introduced.

It will reduce the arguments for years to come. D or no D.

18. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I wouldn't let me 9 year old go.. no freaking way.. and to a water park of all places.. yeah, there are plenty of lifeguards, but they aren't there to babysit. 9 years old is just way to young, D or no D..

And like Karla mentioned, the pervs.. they really hang out at waterparks.

19. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

I agree with the others, I wouldn't let my boys go to a water park without an adult. D doesn't even factor into it.

20. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

My now 13 yo had a pass to the amusement park/water park last summer and my policy was there had to be an adult i trusted on site or she couldn't go. I was ok with her going around with her friends and they all have cell phones but I was surprised how many of her friends were just dropped off. Including a same age friend who is also type 1.