- advertisement -

Iron Man 2 - Blood Toxicity Meter

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momandwifeoftype1s, May 26, 2012.

1. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

I really flubbed it yesterday. I took my boys and their friend to see The Avengers at the movie theater after school to celebrate the start of Memorial Day weekend. I particularly liked the character of Iron Man, so I borrowed a Iron Man 2 from my friend. My son with diabetes, my husband and I had sat down to watch the movie. I noticed Iron Man testing his blood with his toxicity meter and I HAD to point it out that the super hero was testing his blood just like diabetes. Only it's not just like diabetes. It's fiction. My son got upset and didn't want to watch the rest of the movie. I felt so bad. Of course it's not the same. There is no cure. There is no new periodic element that can power up his pancreas in a neat little blue triangle.

Anyone have an idea about how I can patch this up? I feel horrible. I think I really offended my son and my husband. :(

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I don't find what you said that offensive, but if they did, a simple apology should suffice. "I'm sorry if you thought I was trivializing
    diabetes yesterday. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings."

3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Yeah, what Karla wrote. Just apologize if you hurt their feelings, but that you really didn't mean to do so.

Moms are humans too.:cwds:

4. momandwifeoftype1s

I just apologized again. He thought I was trivializing diabetes (good wording for his thoughts). I was really surprised by how strong his reaction was to my flippant comment. I'm usually the one who protects him from insensitive diabetes remarks, and this time I was the one who hurt him. I sometimes forget that I really don't know what it's like to have diabetes. I'm helping to care for him, but it's his body and his disease. :(

5. Deal

Deal Approved members

Been there. All you can do is apologize. I made the stupid mistake of sticking a new meter into ds's xmas stocking. He took it out and just gave a wtf look. I think for the moment he forgot he had the stupid disease and then I went and reminded him. We laugh about it now, but I had to admit my mistake multiple times.

6. momandwifeoftype1s

Yes, just like that. I almost got Connor a new medical I.D. bracelet as a Christmas gift one year. I'm glad I decided not to do that. He would have had the same reaction as your son.

7. selketine

selketine Approved members

My son is also 10 and has seen the Iron Man movies. I told him your comment that Iron Man testing his blood is like diabetes and Iron Man needs this element to continue to survive and his reaction was "Oh...cool!"

I didn't think your comment was at all insensitive - actually an interesting analogy. Of course you didn't meant to upset him - but it isn't an upsetting analogy - like most analogies it only approximates reality.

8. momandwifeoftype1s

I think it's blown over now. He thought I was teasing him about diabetes, but I was really trying to point out the similarity between a super hero's need to test his blood and Connor's diabetes pokes as a mortal human being. I think it's just that I have diabetes on the brain all the time. I notice everything that might possibly remind me of diabetes, even the "Caution Sharp Needles" label on my coffee maker. It has nothing to do with diabetes, but it reminds me of a sharps container every time I fill it with a K-cup. I wonder when I'll ever not notice things like that? Next time I do, I'll just keep it to myself.