- advertisement -

Iron and diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by SunnyReid, Nov 7, 2010.

1. SunnyReid

SunnyReid Approved members

I was just reading another post on vitamin d and that made me think about Emilys recent blood test results. Her iron is high.. she is now on NO red meat for 3 months to try and get her levels lower... anyone else have this in thier kids?

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

No, we dont have an iron issue here but my son is low on Vitamin D. Did you ask the doctor what could cause this?

3. Andrew's Mom

Andrew's Mom Approved members

There is something called Hemochromatosis that cause too much iron in your blood. If her levels stay high I would get that checked out. My DH carries that genes for that they thought he had that but it turned out that he had polycythemia both diseases have the same treatment. Hope it is all well.

4. SunnyReid

SunnyReid Approved members

Our GP is going to test her for heamacromatisis (sp) at her next 3 month blood test and doing the genetic testing but there is non in the family. Just wanted to know if anyone else has come across this. For a diabetic my DD is scared fo needles other than her insulin ones so the thought of her having to donate regular is a little scarey... lets hope the no red meat does the trick

5. Andrew's Mom

Andrew's Mom Approved members

I hope it is not hemachromatosis my husband had to go monthly now every other month. It would be hard for a child.