- advertisement -

iPro CGMS on Son's butt this morning....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mischloss, Jun 2, 2009.

Tags:
  1. mischloss

mischloss Approved members

Yeah! We went to the endo's and they "tagged" him on his butt with the cgms. It is the 3 day one without the display. They just use it to log the data and be able to make some determinations in adjusting insulin etc. He is on the animas pump. Of course he was all huffy about now having to wear 2 sites but got over that pretty quickly! It comes off on friday and then we go back next Wednesday to hear about the results. It is the one that looks like a small white sea shell. :D

I am already looking into getting the Dexcom if all goes well with insurance submission after this 3 day trial. I think he actually might wear it and like the idea of knowing what his bg's are.

Thanks for letting me share!
    Maria

2. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

im glad you guys get the ipro for a few days. It is the same as minimed sensor and transmitter except you cant see data.

3. mischloss

yes, I think that is what they said. I have the Dexcom brochure to look through in the mean time. We have the animas so it is not a huge deal to go with Dexcom. They said that they don't do the Navigator since it is not FDA approved for minors. So it is either Dexcom or the "minimed" one.

4. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

they do realize that the Dexcom is not FDA approved for minors also,right?
    Congrats on starting, we love our Dexcom. Oh and Lantus is not approved for under 6 I believe. Is it the Dr's office saying this or insurance?
    Allene

5. mph

mph Approved members

I almost wished we had tried a blind trial first. Being able to "see" what was going on made me make too many change at once and I made a mess of things at first.:eek: But now, I have the hang of the CGMS (MM) and I wouldn't want to be without the sensors. Nick LOVES knowing his bg without having to come in the house, wash, and draw blood.;)

Hope you find some good info during the trial!:)

6. mischloss

Update: Sensor survives first day of skateboarding for 5 hours straight! Yeah!!!

After he showered, he peeled of the two IV 3000 sticking pads that were on top of it and put a new one on and even used some mastisol around the "rim" of it.

So far it is not bothering him one bit to have it on. But he did say that he wouldn't want two sites (pump and CGMS) for the rest of his life.

I also went on the tutorial for the Dexcom yesterday and one thing that struck me is how they were saying that the sensor part has to be horizontally attached...going west to east and not up and down or at an angle??

The one that he is wearing now...the "shell" transmitor is at the top (think north) and the "canula" is at the southern part.

And they never said anything about what angle it should be inserted in. So I am wondering if Dexcom is more finicky with the positioning on the body? Any advice??

Thanks!

7. mph

mph Approved members

This is a great question. I'm not aware of anything in the MM literature or tutorials that suggests the transmitter NEEDS to be pointing in a certain direction. But I wonder if it works equally well if it is pointing N, S, E or W.:confused: Interesting. Ours seems to work the same in any direction.;)