- advertisement -

iPhone App that does all the work of the pump minus insulin delivery

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BeerMargaritaMom, Feb 6, 2012.

1. BeerMargaritaMom

BeerMargaritaMom Approved members

So my DD has been insisting on going back to shots. She says it is because she wants better control and taking shots will force her not to snack in between meals unless medically necessary. In reality I think she is just on pump burn out. She is 12 and in 6th grade and hates having anything obvious that makes her different. Wearing a pump makes her stand out (she doesn't realize that kids her age are too busy worrying that they are different to notice that others are different.) Anyway - after a 3 month battle she won and has disconected her pump. The 10 Units of Lantus (I know that is lite compaired to many) was had to give not knowing how it will effect her and also because I am a basal lady - I adjust basals frequently and often set temp basals - the loss of the control will ikely eat me alive.

Another ocd type love i have with the pump is the IOB feature. For example if my dd eats and afternoon snack and boluses for it then an hour later wants to go on long bike ride I will ask her to test, if her number is within range I will ask her what her IOB is so I can calculate where she will be in an hour. Based on IOB I may ask her to eat another small snack and not dose for it. With shots I feel lost. No more IOB info. I know there is a formula to figure out IOB and I would love for someone to share it with me BUT I would also like to know if anyone is aware of an application that does all the same math that the pump does. If so I can have her use the application as a log book and hopefully she will have the benefits of the pump computer while being untethered.
    Thoughts??

2. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

I don't know about the apps since I don't have an iPhone, but you might want to look into the OmniPod PDM. Jayden is getting to that same point...she's not sure she wants to keep pumping, and she's having skin issue after skin issue. However, with the PDM, which is also a meter, she can check her bg, and it will calculate what she needs. She could then bolus the amount that the PDM tells her to give via injection.

Just a thought...hope you find an app!

3. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

My son flip flops from pump to injections, his disease, his choice. I, however, hate the switch from pump to injections because the pump is so much smarter than I. I do not know of an app, wish I did although the endo told us the other day there is one in the works!

4. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

would she consider pumping un tethered? (giving lantus and only plugging the pump in to bolus) then you could use the ez bolus, IOB, and all just like you have been but she doesn't look any different from the rest of her friends. I haven't really had much experience with the method but I'm sure there are peeps here who have.

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Not sure how quickly products usually come out in the US after their UK release, but this may be something to look forward to.

6. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Neat! I wish they have this in the U.S.! Time to send (oldest) dd to a boarding school there, methinks.