- advertisement -

introduction

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sammysmom, Jul 6, 2006.

1. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

I thought that i would re-introduce myself, i posted on here before but not for a long time now. My name is shannon and my little guy sammy has diabetes. He was dx at 15mo old and is now almost 5 (late july). Sammy uses a cozmo insulin pump and we couldn't be happier. Although we still have our ups and downs, it is much better now than with shots. Sammy will be starting kdg in the fall and i am very nervous. We already have our 504 in place and the school is very accomidating. well thats about it. Thanks for letting me re introduce myself

shannon, mom to sammy 4 yrs old pumping with cozmo

2. kristy

kristy Approved members

Welcome! My daughter will be 5 in November, so with the cut off date, she would only be in pre-k this year. I am planning on home schooling for pre-k and k, but would be interested in learning from your journey. Keep us posted!

3. RobinKop

RobinKop Approved members

Welcome back Shannon,

My daughter just turned 4 so we have a year before kindergarden but I'm already nervous about it. Sounds like you are off to a great start with the 504 plan. Good luck!

4. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

sammysmom

we are kind of in the same boat, our kids are both 5 and starting kdgtn this year.. we are in arizona and we start on 8-7-06... i am a bit nervous, no 504 yet but hte school is aware and we are planing on gettin one set up with them at the beginging.. in the mean time they have charlzie medical plan on file. and teh schools is very aware of diabetes care.. every teacher is triained already:D :D :D... we are waiting on teh 504 since the school is getting a new principle and they dont start till the week before.. so in a way i am starting to get every thing in order.. Welcome

5. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

Hi there and welcome back!
    We are in the same boat. Mia's bday is 8-25-01 so she just makes the cutoff and will be starting Kindergarten on the 14th :cool: :) :eek:. I already put in a 504 plan and some medical paperwork that my Endo gave me but I have yet to speak with the nurse and teachers... Supposedly there is another diabetic child in the school, in 5th grade, and he is also on the pump. I am hopeful that the school will be accomodating all around. I'm also trying to get in touch with the parents of the 5th grader to get their experience.

Best of luck to everyone who is about to start a new school experience!!! Keep us posted!!

6. mom2emily

mom2emily Approved members

Hi...

Emily will also be starting K in Aug. I am very nervous :eek: but I live very close to the school (I can see it from my house) so that makes me feel a little better. I have spoken to the school nurse and they are very accommodating, she will even be allowed to test in the class room! There is also another little girl starting K who is on the pump. I have not put a 504 plan in place. I guess I am confused as to when it is necessary or is it always necessary?

7. sammysmom

I think a 504 is necessary. You need to have the accomidations in writing and make sure the school is on the same page. If something happens and the school becomes uncomfortable with any part of your daughters D care, without a 504 they could change their mind on how things should be done. An example: I have in sam's 504 plan that i would get forst choice for field trips and that 99% of the time i would be able to attend, but if something happened and i could not attend i have it written that the school must provide a nurse or trained aid to accompany my son on his field trip.....without that written, the school could say to you, you have to go or your child can not go on the field trip (legally they could not say it but they would fight you because it is not written anywhere)..also i would tell the school that the 504 is for your childs protection, tell them that while you know how wonderful care they take care of your child what would happen if administration switched things around (which happens all the time) the new personel might want to do thing different..and this is where you 504 comes into play..they MUSTfollow the 504.....what about when the school nurse or aid is absent?? i have it written that at least 3 people need to be trained and a substitute called if necessary....i dont know about your daughter, but my son does not want me up at his school every day.
    i also have in the 504 things like blood sugar must be in a certain range before discipline and before any assesment or tests.
    hope that helps
    shannon

8. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

HI sammys mom

the info you provide is great, do you have any other good points to add to it?

9. RobinKop

RobinKop Approved members

I agree! I was taking notes while I read your post for ideas of things to put in Kim's 504 when we get there. I really like the one about having her bg in the goal range for tests. I was worried about that....

Thanks again for all the great ideas!

10. Jordana

Jordana Approved members

<wave> Good to see you over here!

11. sammysmom

HAHAHAHAH Hi jordana, give that cute little baby..oh excuse me, i mean toddler.haha a great big smooch from me.....

shannon

12. Jordana

Jordana Approved members

Hmph - can't he always be my little baby?? Why do they have to grow up so fast?!

13. pookas

pookas Approved members

Hi Sammysmom. We just finished Kindergarten and did a 504 as soon as he was dx'd back in Nov. It worked out great and the school was very accomodating. Just make sure you think of all scenerios and put them in the 504. One thing I put in was that I had to be called immediately when an early dismissal was going to be done especially for snow. the year before, the bus was stuck on our hill about a mile away and it was 45 minutes late! That could mean a bad low in Hunter's case. Just try to think of everything.

Linda-[NEPA]-Mom to:
    Hunter, 5 yrs, dx'd 11/14/05 type I
    Colby, 7 yrs, migraines

14. Dana

Dana Approved members

Hi. My name is Dana. My daughter, Iris, is 4. We are planning on getting her on a pump soon. I am so worried about Kindergarten.