- advertisement -

introduction..

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mom24grlz, Mar 30, 2010.

1. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Hi i just wanted to introduce myself before jumping into threads. I'm Chris and i have 4 girls. my oldest daughter Ashleigh is 11 and was just diagnosed on 3/23/10 with type 1 diabetes. Our main problem is getting blood to come out of her fingers for sugar checks. I swear she has no blood in her fingers. We poke and poke and poke. It's a rare and happy day when the blood flows freely. We've tried warming her hands, milking the fingers, squeezing the fingers, pushing harder on the lanset devise, moving it up a setting (we have it on 4 which is the highest it goes). And it's still a struggle to get blood. Thankfully this morning i was able to get blood without much trouble.

Also the pump is sounding real nice about now. I hate causing my daughter pain when she gets her injections. Right now she takes Novolog before each meal and lantus before bed.

2. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the boards. I'm sorry to hear of your daughter's diagnosis. As far as getting the blood to come out, I think that it just gets easier with time. You will find the right combination of the methods you are trying and it will work more consistently.

And, yes, the pump is great. It's not a cure by any means and it doesn't make the bg suddenly stay in range but it makes giving insulin easier and more flexible.

3. colebenmom

colebenmom Approved members

Four girls :eek: I can barely handle my one preteen some days.:)

Welcome, sorry you have to be here but you did find a great place with a wealth of information. Our son just reached his anniversary of his one year since his diagnosis and without this place - I would have been far less prepared, far less knowledgeable and much more alone in this journey.

As far as lancing goes, I highly recommend the Multiclix lancing device. It has more settings and seems to hurt less. Are you doing the finger pokes or is your daughter? Sometimes I find that if the children can do them, they seem to have more success getting blood for some reason. Of course, you will want to do what is comfortable for her:cwds: Try holding the hand lower and down if you haven't already. Good luck.

4. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

We had a tough time getting blood the first week or two as well.

5. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

You are wise.;)

Anyway, welcome!

About getting enough blood, this is what we do sometimes:

- let arm hand down
    - open and close hand a few times
    - massage the hand

It usually works.:)

I understand about how you may feel about hurting your child, but with the pump we feel the same. Think if it this way - you are keeping your child healthy and alive, by giving something she needs desperately. Maybe this will help change of perspective.

Best of luck.

6. NatBMomto4

NatBMomto4 Approved members

Sorry you had to join, but welcome! My 11 year old son (he turns 12 this Saturday) was diagnosed on 3/15/10, so we are right at the same point in all of this - shocked, overwhelmed - as you and your family.

I have found that when Andrew does it himself, he gets blood no problem - sometimes too much! But when I check him in the middle of the night and he is asleep, I sometimes have to poke 2 or 3 times to get any blood. I don't know if it is b/c he is asleep and not moving around, or if it is b/c I am trying to be gentle... We have the multiclix and have it set to 4.

Good luck - I'm sure we'll be talking again soon - I know I have new questions every day!

7. MountainJam

MountainJam Approved members

Sorry you had to join us, but welcome. I think you will find this to be a wonderfully informative forum that can really help you get through the initial shock of diagnosis.

As for getting the blood to flow, as someone else stated, it is a trail and error thing. My son does almost 100% of his BG checks, so he is far better at getting blood than I am. You will find what works for you in short order.

Pumps are great, but starting on one is almost like starting from scratch. We did MDI (Novolog/Lantus) for about 6 months and I am glad we have that experience to fall back on if necessary. Started on a pump about 3 weeks ago and we are just now getting comfortable with using all the capabilities available. Pumps afford you MUCH more flexibility, but there is a greater learning curve to really use it to its full extent.

8. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Chris and welcome:) What a lovely name your daughter has. How is she doing with the diabetes diagnosis? How are you doing with all the changes? I know there is alot to take in and think about at first, just be patient with yourself and try to learn a little each day. Where are you poking your daughters fingers? We use the sides up near the top and usually do ok, I keep it on 3 or 4 now so that I can get a good drop and not have to keep trying. I wonder if there is a problem with the lancing device:confused: some of ours dont seem to poke as deep as others even at the same setting. You may want to call the manufacterer of the meter and ask them to send you another, Freestyle will send them out free of charge.

9. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

Hi Chris! Welcome to CWD! You'll find a wealth of info on here!

I didn't read all the other posts so forgive me if this is a duplicate :) , but I find if poke on the side of the finger that helps some. The pads of the fingers can be calloused.

10. rare

rare Approved members

I'm another one who has difficulty getting T to bleed sometimes, but he has no problems doing it himself. Welcome to CWD. :)

11. Ginagbaby1

Ginagbaby1 Approved members

Hi Chris,

I just wanted to say hello and welcome :). This is a great group of people and are always willing to help out with suggestions and ideas.

12. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

Welcome to the forum, even though its not great that you have to be here. :cwds: Have you tried the sides of her fingers? They may be less calloused than the padded part of the tips. Also, you could try the forearm. But that depends on how much blood the meter requires. What kind of meter do you use? I'm happy you found this forum right after her dx. It took me 3 yrs to find this place!

13. Brandi's mom

Brandi's mom Approved members

Welcome to the board. Sorry you have to be here.

We sometimes have trouble getting enough blood too. Sometimes we just have to try a differnent finger.

14. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

Hi there!, sorry you had to join us here but as others have said this is a great source of information. my daughter was diagnosed only a month or two before yous and is only a few years older, she is much better at getting blood out of her fingers and many times will wake up if we check her at night and do it her self! durring the day we tend to have her wash her hands in hot to warm water before trying to prick them, she also says this makes her hands feel better if they are soar. hang in there it does get easier:D

15. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Four girls I can barely handle my one preteen some days

LOL! And i realized i forgot to introduce my other girls. I also have Madisyn age 9, Emely age 7 and Cathryn age 5 months. Took a little break between Emely and Catie LOL!

I highly recommend the Multiclix lancing device.

I had a couple of other people recommend this devise. I'll have to see if i can find in in the pharmacies around here. I saw it listed on Amazon.

Are you doing the finger pokes or is your daughter?

Most of the time she does her own finger pokes. I did it this morning for her though, and was able to get enough blood for the strip.

- let arm hand down- open and close hand a few times- massage the handIt usually works

I'll give that a try.

Think if it this way - you are keeping your child healthy and alive, by giving something she needs desperately. Maybe this will help change of perspective.

yes that's what i keep telling myself. I'm keeping her healthy by giving her the insulin.

How is she doing with the diabetes diagnosis?

She's actually handling it better than we thought she would. Last night she was pretty upset. We couldn't get blood to come out of her finger, and when i gave her the injection it burnt. She hadn't planned on telling very many people, but all the kids at school know. She told one girl, and well you know how middle school age girls are LOL! She told one girl and before long all the 5th and 6th graders knew.

Where are you poking your daughters fingers? We use the sides up near the top and usually do ok,

We poke in the same place as you :)

16. Lizzie's Mom

Lizzie's Mom Approved members

Welcome . . . this is a great place for info and support! Like the others, I'm glad you found CWD, but so sorry you are here :cwds:.

All good suggestions above . . . I'll just add one: Have her take a deep breath - or three ;). Sometimes they just tense up and need to relax. I'm always amazed at how well this works. Gravity is a good helper, too. Early on, these two things were a great help.

About this:

When encountering folks who are uneducated about Type 1 Diabetes, you may get comments about 'cures' or special diets designed to 'lower insulin needs' . . .

Remember - Insulin is NOT medicine. It is a hormone. When you are giving your daughter insulin, you are simply supplying her body with that which her Pancreas no longer produces.

Insulin is not medicine, it is not bad, and your daughter's body needs what it needs. And those needs will change every now and then. There are lots of people out there who 'just want to help' but really have no clue, and/or confuse Type 1 with Type 2. Some will be quite adamant about what they 'know', and you will find them annoying :cool:. I've found that framing the giving of insulin as supplying what the body cannot make anymore a good way to communicate the physical need of a Type 1.

Then some yahoo will say something like, "But you can heal the pancreas with (insert favorite herbal/diet regimen here) :rolleyes:". Sometimes you just have to smile and nod and change the subject :p.

I'm tired and starting to go on . . . too little sleep, I suppose!

Blessings to you as you begin your journey . . .

17. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

We have four as well, as you can see from my sig, though a mix of boys and girls.

The blood draws will get easier over time. Sides of the finger is best, less painful and often skin not as thick there.

As far as the burning form the injection, try doing the injection slowly, say over 10 seconds or so. That can help with the burning. When Ethan was on injections, the technique we used that he preferred is to pinch up about an inch of fatty area (we would use arms and legs, he refused to let us do stomach or lower back), inject needle quickly into the softest part of the triangle area sloping down from the peak of the pinch, inject insulin slowly, remove needle.

And finally, though should have been first, welcome to CWD. The first few weeks/months are the toughest. Unfortunately I don't think it ever gets easy. But with lots of support from this online community as well as family, it becomes easier.

Key to remember is there are no dumb questions. We all started out knowing next to nothing about this disease and wouldn't have gotten any further without asking lots of questions.

18. Kayeecee

Kayeecee Approved members

Hey, Chris: I'm a mom to 4 girls, too, as you can see from my sig.

A couple of tips - try the TiniBoy lancets. Spencer has been using them a couple of months now and we would never go back to the lower guage lancets (the higher the guage, the thinner the needle). I believe TiniBoy is a 36 guage.

Alternative sites? You can use the tops of the arms, legs and toes.

Pumping - YES! We were pumping with Omnipod 90 days after diagnosis and it gave us some of our pre-D life back. My advice is to get aggressive with your endo if this is what you think you want because many of them have arbitrary and wrong-headed limitations that they mindlessly spout off like "you have to be on MDI for [6 months, 1 year] and learn to count carbs before you are allowed to get a pump". If a pump is what you want, you can get it. Enlist the help of the pump reps; they get commissions when you buy the product and they will make sure you get the product and get the training.

CGM - we are on the DexCom and love it. Makes keeping track of the nighttime numbers so much easier!

Good luck with everything. You found the best web site in the world for support and information. These folks are amazing.

19. VictoriasDad

VictoriasDad Approved members

Chris,

Hate that you have to be here but this is a great place to get information, commiserate or just plain vent. We all have either been there or can relate.

When our now 11 year old daughter (dx'd in 10/06) started we struggled with the injections as well. A few months later we found ourselves at a DRI fundraiser and one of the parents with older kids told us about the Inject-ease.

It revolutionized how we did her shots. I highly recommend it.

I wanted to also get her on the pump ASAP, but we let her decide when it was the right time. I worked on her for almost a year before she 'decided' she wanted it. She is on a MM722 for almost a year now and it was the best decision we ever made. Totally changed her regiment.

Don't push her, try to let her make her own decisions about her care, but a nudge in the right direction cannot hurt.

20. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Just wanted to say Welcome! You've already had great advice...my 2 D girls are BLEEDERS...we have the opposite problem.

As far as letting people know, middle school was the toughest for Morgan (Zoe wil start that next year). Nobody wants to be different, and Morgan certainly voiced that. However morgan was diagnosed before she ever started school, so many kids have only known Morgan with this disease. I can tell you that there were a few times when a friend probably saved Morgan's life, once in 2nd grade, once just recently, because they knew what was wrong and how to fix it. Your daughter is newly diagnosed and every child is different, but it's really important for her close friends to know what D is and what to do if she's in trouble. L

Looking forward to getting to know you!