- advertisement -

Introduction to Frequent Pattern Management

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kevin@diabetech.net, Nov 11, 2012.

1. kevin@diabetech.net

kevin@diabetech.net Approved members

Frequent review of meter bg data beats comprehensive and/or infrequent review! It also beats CGM in pre-teens.

At least weekly review of blood sugar patterns results in -0.9 reduction in A1c vs. both the control group (no or infrequent review) and those who reviewed bg for patterns using the same study toolset but less than once per week. Meanwhile, CGM has been demonstrated as costly, time consuming and does not deliver clinically significant improvements in blood sugar control in the same pre-teen type 1 diabetes population (Diabetes Care Study conducted by DirecNet).

The most rigorous study of its kind was recently published in Diabetes Care and a link to the trial abstract was shared with the CWD community in the What's New newsletter; "Integrating an Automated Diabetes Management System into the family management of Children with Type 1 Diabetes". Article #216 dated Feb 8th, 2012

The full study manuscript has been subsequently made available to you online thanks to Indiana University School of Nursing with permission from ADA.

What this study mentioned but may have been lost in translation is the critical importance of frequent review. I recently wrote a paper which further explains why frequent review is important and teaches anyone the hows and whys behind Frequent Pattern Management.

http://j.mp/FrequentPatternManagement

This method is free and anyone can practice FPM regardless of which blood sugar meter you use. It was equally effective in families who use MDI or Insulin Pumps. While the study technology made it quick and easy, you can still perform this manually in about 10 minutes per week and you don't need to buy anything to do it. You just need to commit to weekly review in a format similar to the report design shared in the article above. I have since developed a version myself based on fusion tables and importing a .csv file from the meter. If that's your thing I'm sure you can figure out how to do it yourself and when I'm confident I have the bugs out of my version I plan to share it with anyone interested. Paper bg logs can also be used with minimal time invested.

If you have questions after reading the article "Frequent Pattern Management as an Evidence-Based Method for Patient Self-Care in Type 1 Diabetes" please feel free to contact me.

As some of you may know, I am the Dad behind the GlucoMON-ADMS, a system for automating bg data collection and analysis pioneered by the company I founded to conduct this research; Diabetech. This system is not available to the public and there are currently no trials available to prospective participants. This post is not intended to promote a commercial interest or technology. Rather, it is intended to share a key strategy for better control of blood sugar especially for those with kids under age 12. The article shares a gem discovered from over a decade of research into new methods for managing diabetes.

I hope that at least some of you can benefit from this lesson learned.

Kevin L McMahon