- advertisement -

Intro: Dentist to Glucagon kit

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Bigbluefrog, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

I work at a dentist office, and brought in my expired kits to give to the dentist. Both were unfamiliar with glucagon kits.

The past week, I seen 3 type 1 diabetics other than my own child. I just thought it would be good for them to know what it is and how to use it.

Explained that most parents of type one diabetics know how to use the kit, but just incase they got flustered or nervous, it would be good for the dentist to be familiar with the glucagon kit.

We have been fortunate to never had to use the kit.

Now when the next few expire, I may give them to my husband to take to the firehouse.

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

Awesome ... did they mix and inject it? Our school nurse lets them mix and draw and inject into an orange.

I was shocked to hear how many people were sooooo nervous that they just couldn't do it - waste to train the bus driver in our situation.

3. Bigbluefrog

Yes, both were interested in learning about it. They give local anesthetic quite often, one dr stated that the glucagon kit was intriguing because of the size of the needle and the mixing aspect.

I was hoping to add it to our health first aid kit at work.

The docs were amazed that parents were trained to do this and that they never learned about it during any medical training.

This is one aspect of medical/ dental training that should be changed.

4. Bigbluefrog

What happend with training the bus driver?

I can see some being nervous about giving glucagon. I find it challenging to draw it up without so many bubbles.

5. helinut

helinut Approved members

When do glucagon vials expire? I can't for the life of me find an expiration date anywhere on the package. We've still have the one they gave us at dx. 1.5 years almost.

6. swellman

swellman Approved members

I think the school nurse finally got her through it but I honestly have no real confidence that she would be able to administer it in the event of an emergency. She was a substitute driver who only worked a few times.

Ours have always had an expiration date on the outside of the case. There's also an expiration on the vial and on the syringe with water. They can be different. The one I just checked had the same date on the vial as on the outside but the syringe was still in date.

7. Mish

Mish Approved members

Why would the dentist need this? I feel like maybe I missed half the conversation or something.

8. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Would this be for the EMTs? Our emergency personnel are not trained for glucagon, nor are they permitted to administer it.

9. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

I have to say the one time I thought I needed to use it....I was shaking so bad I could barely put it together. By the time I had it ready to go, my aunt had gotten enough sugar in her that she was coherent again, so I did not use it.

10. helinut

helinut Approved members

I've heard from other parents the same thing. First time was extremely unnerving. The second time they did it, it was nothing. They knew their child would be fine, it just took a little bit to get them to come around.

11. Rcj176

Rcj176 Approved members

My 12 yo has given me mini glucagons when I needed it. We had it out the other day when I was having lows. I think the glucagon should be at the chiropractor's office too!! I had a bad low there and they had no clue how to handle the situation.

12. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

That is smart thinking, especially at a dentist's office!!!

I agree the date on the case and the date on the vial can be different - we go back the date on the vial. I think I'll be a nervous wreck the first time we have to use it, too. We do practice with the expired ones.

13. Bigbluefrog

Just like any office, we train to handle most emergencies, like CPR, fainting, and allergic reactions. We have juice for lows too. Lows can happen when a person is stressed, some patients get apprehensive at the dental office.

Most offices carry first aid kit, oxygen, defibrillator, and epi pens.

14. Mish

Mish Approved members

ah, good to know. Can they administer it? I've been to a tattoo place where they've had glucose tabs - and for the same reason - non- people aren't necessarily low but they get fainty.

15. Bigbluefrog

16. jetsmom

jetsmom Approved members

I had to use it for this first time this week-end, my teen was coherent enough to administer it himself, but it was scary for awhile.