- advertisement -

Intro...7yr old son w Type 1

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Kim3, May 16, 2010.

1. Kim3

Kim3 Approved members

Just joined group yesterday...my name is "Kim" i have a seven yr old son w T1 diabetes...he's on injections and eats constantly. Endo jus mentioned a pump and I have to go to a class for pumps this wednesday. I am researchn and viewing all your comment in all the pro's and con's. He is a active larger(tall) for his age. It has been rough keepn him on target with all these growth spurts and being hungry constantly. I am leaning toward the omnipod..would love any input on ANY pumps. I am affraid on the tubing getting caught while playn or wrestln his twin brothers...boys can get rough. I also want him to have the most freedom possible. Thank u in advance for any input.

I am a licensed practical nurse of ten yr...but it was a total different ball game when I was forced to deal with diabetes t1 constantly at home. I am truely intrigued and touched by everyones stories and life experiences..I have decieded to go back to school for my rn degree and get certified to b a diabetic educators...I know the scare and "WHY ME'S" that everyone experiences when first diagnosed..,and in return would like to help new families ease their worries.....I would like to think all of us dealing with t1 or t2 are like family tryn eagarly to help eachother and fight for funding for a cure!!:D

2. KHM

KHM Approved members

I'm terribly sorry to welcome you to our fine group but I know you'll find a lot of comfort and support here. We're looking toward our first pump soon as well so I have nothing to offer there, except that I'm leaning towards the Omnipod as well.

Best of luck to you and your son...your whole family, really...

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

My advice to you is get ahold of each pump, so you can touch them and play with them.. since your son isn't a toddler, you could ask him which one he likes.. We never gave me daughter a choice (she was 3 when we started).. we just upgraded from the Minimed 522 to the MM (minimed) Revel 723. I did let her pick the color that she wanted.. she had no desire to switch to any other pump (she is 7) and wouldn't even consider looking at the omnipod because of the size of what is constantly attached to the body...

When we first stared pumping, the tubing getting caught was a big concern for us.. but honestly, in 4 years, I think its happened twice.. once when she caught it on a door knob (or something similar) and the second was a child being exceptionally rough at school, was chasing her, grabbed her and scratched down her arm, ripping out her site..

All the pump do the same thing, deliver insulin.. so, you need to find the one that fits your family and lifestyle.. they each have their own 'perks'..

Omnipod, tubeless
    Animas, a remote
    Minimed, intergrated cgms

Minimed and Animas have smallest basal capabilities of .025 (ominipd is .05) and Minimed's newest pump, the revel, has the smallest bolus capabilities of all the pumps at .025 (I'm not sure what animas and omnipod are, but I think .1 for omnipod and .05 for animas someone will chime in and correct if its wrong.)

Omnipod and animas hold 200u of insulin, max, and MM has two sizes of pumps, one that holds 180u (523) and one that holds 300u (723).

When you go to your pump class they should have the pumps there for you to touch and hold.. you can also call each of the companies and they will send reps out to you and explain all about their pumps.. warning though, they will all make their pump to be the best, don't always listen to what they say about other pumps, but what they are telling you about theirs. and you can certainly do a search on this site and find tons of information about each pump and peoples thoughts on which pump works for them and why.

There use to be a great pump comparison chart but it hasn't been updated with the new MM revel features.

4. MTMomma

MTMomma Approved members

His imput

What does your son want? Our son is 12 and each time he is asked about a pump has decided "not yet". Right now he does not mind the many injections, has a half decent A1C and is willing to be responsible for his care. I think he likes the fact he can say when he wants a pump and I get the feeling that in his mind he is waiting until the teenage years. I know he is younger but what is your son's take on it?

5. Kayla and Ethan's Mom

Kayla and Ethan's Mom Approved members

Welcome to the group but sorry you had to join. My daughter just started on the animas ping and we love it! I think its great that you are considering going back to school to become a cde! Good luck to you, your son and your family!

6. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Kim, welcome to the family:cwds: youre right in that when you say we are all like a family here. We all deal with many of the same issues with our kids having type 1 diabetes. That is great that you are going back to get your RN and be a CDE. CDEs are such an important part of the diabetes team that I think its great when they themselves have experience with diabetes first hand

7. Richard157

Richard157 Approved members

Hi Kim, your son is lucky that you are a nurse and you are working your way to be a CDE. He will get the very best of care from you. I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6. After 64 years of type 1 I am very healthy, with no complications. With your guidance your son should have a long, health life.

I use the Minimed pump, with tubing. I understand your interest in the Omnipod, but it is a bigger attachment than the pumps that have tubing. Compare the sizes as you make your decision.

Good luck to you and your son.

Richard

8. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

Welcome to our family! It's a hard time of transition, but we are all here to help in any way you need. So post away!

I have a 6 yr old daughter and a 8 yr old son (dx at 7, too) with D.

There are 2 main types of pumps, IMO, tubeless or tubing. They each have their own benefits. You have to decide what works best for your child. We went with the Minimed from Medtronic which has the tubing and we have loved it. I was concerned about having something sticking up from their bodies and because they are so skinny the places to put the pod would be limited to their bottoms. Not as comfortable. We do, however, have lots of omnipod users on here that could give you the positives.

We LOVE pumping - it makes life so much easier in many ways.

9. Kim3

Kim3 Approved members

Thank You all. I went to a short intro class 2 hrs and our pediatriac unit only deals with animas ping, minimed..medtronic, and the omnipod. I called omnipod for another demo kit to try out in a different site...I also called medtronic for a rep to come out and maybe start a strickly saline to see if he'd like that as well. My 7 yr old eats a ton of food and is constantly hungry. I think the 300u cartiage might work a little better.

We'll just have to wait and see if he likes minimed.

Thank you all for your comments. I will keep u posted.

Kim 7yr old dx sept 08
    twins 31/2 non-diabetic