- advertisement -

Intl. travel med/med-evac insurance for CWD?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by anna-bananna, Oct 29, 2012.

1. anna-bananna

anna-bananna Approved members

Has anyone ever successfully acquired medical/med-evac insurance for their CWD for international travel and/or living overseas?

I looked into it once a couple of years ago, and all I could find was coverage that would exclude a pre-existing condition, i.e., excluding diabetes. I would like something that includes coverage for the diabetes.

Any suggestions?

2. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

We just got back from an international trip. I got travel ins that did include med evacuation from AAA. Good luck and safe travels!

3. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

We've gotten it without any problems or extra costs - they just say that the condition must be well controlled in the 90 days prior to travel - I suspect that means no DKA or seizures.

4. selketine

selketine Approved members

This place that sells trip insurance REALLY helped me find the right insurance for us when we cruised: http://www.tripinsurancestore.com

They understand the whole "pre-exisiting condition" thing and explained to me exactly what was covered and up to what amount. Yes - I'm quoted at the top of the page about coverage with pre-existing conditions: http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/h...e-existing-medical-conditions-coverage-works/ LOL!

I don't get paid or have any connection to them other than buying insurance twice for our cruises! They use the major travel insurers and you pay the same as you would buying it yourself directly.

If your trip is for living abroad though you just need to talk to them about it. If you are working or going to school abroad it might be different than getting travel insurance!

5. anna-bananna

Thank you! This is just the type of info I was hoping for!

6. anna-bananna

The fine print with the company I had looked into previously defined "well-controlled" for any pre-exsisting condition (not type-1 specific) as no longer under a doctor's care for the condition AND zero use of any prescription medication to manage the condition during the specified time-frame.

I e-mailed them and asked specifically what that would mean for my child with type-1, and they said that they would not cover anything at all ever that related to type-1 diabetes. I asked a very direct question about coverage for my child with type-1 for medical issues which were unrelated to type-1, and they danced all around the answer. I think, if I interpreted all the legal mumbo jumbo properly, that in the end...they would cover everything else for my child...but just not anything at all related to type-1 (her only pre-exsisting condition). So, hopefully your suspicion is true. I sure would like to find something that doesn't exclude her, since she has not had any seizures or DKA ever (early diagnosis--she was not "sick"--I just thought she had a UTI & it turned out to be type-1, instead :eek:)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  7. Schpoodle's Dad

Schpoodle's Dad Approved members

We have used Ingle International and we got the contact info from the Canadian Diabetes Association. They have a section for international insurance that would likely be applicable.