- advertisement -

interviews

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by AliciaM, Aug 18, 2013.

1. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

Would you disclose that you are T1 in a job interview? I have one tomorrow and may have more in the near future and am wondering what yall do! Thanks :)

2. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

Not unless I feel like it would help me get the job, like a diabetes camp or something where diabetes experience would be an additional skill. I typically wait until I get the job.

Also, if they ask, you cannot be forced to disclose. It's against the law for them to ask for medical history.

3. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

No, I wouldn't. Legally, they are absolutely not allowed to ask, and you are under zero obligation to tell. That's all there is to it (unless you are applying for a job for which it actually makes a real difference). When you are hired you can talk about it to whoever you feel needs to know, but not until then. After all, do you want to look back and wonder if you lost the job because of diabetes?

4. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

Ok good :) I wear a medical bracelet but its one where I have stuff printed on it without having to flip it over and I was wondering if I should turn it around so its not showing on my wrist but under my wrist under my palm so that my interviewer isn't nosy. I don't care about people knowing I'm diabetic I just don't want someone to think that may be a hassle to hire me because of it... I'm deaf too and I never disclose that at an interview unless being on the phone frequently comes up. The bank has to pay for a phone for me though that is amplified and has access to relay/TTY services so that isn't really a problem.

5. mocha

mocha Approved members

I wouldn't disclose. Unfortunately, there are still a bunch of jerks out there who will let information like that cloud their judgement of you. If you choose to disclosed, then I'd wait until after they've hired you.

If you are wearing pants to your interview (as opposed to a skirt), the other option is to put your bracelet on as an anklet for the interview. That's what I've been doing, and so far, so good. You can also just slip it in to your pocket so that it's not distracting during the interview.

And, as everyone else has pointed out, in the US, they aren't allowed to ask about medical history, disabilities, marital status, economic status...basically, if it's information that isn't directly related to work, they aren't allowed to ask about it.

6. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

well I live in canada but it's the same here as well..you can't ask medical history unless it's for armed services and such and prob department of national defence? I dunno but it's not pertinent info for the bank to know so I won't say anything. I also am going to maybe just take my bracelet off and then put it back on after the interview. It won't fit on my ankle :p I have really small wrists! Thanks for the tips guys and gals:)