- advertisement -

Interested to read Sup. Ct. healthcare decision

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by virgo39, Jun 28, 2012.

1. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Haven't read the decision or even a comprehensive report on it ...

I have not been fully convinced that, regardless of its legal justification, the universal mandate was the best approach to controlling healthcare costs (while recognizing that it can improve access).

But from a purely self-interested POV, I am sooooooooooo glad that DD can remain on our policies until age 26 and should be able to get coverage despite any "pre-existing condition.":)

2. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

I am hoping those on here was have the knowledge to understand the decision will inform those of us who can't wait but understanding the legal stuff challenges us.

3. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Yeah. It's almost 200 pages long and will doubtless be parsed by commentators for years to come.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Roberts wrote the majority opinion to uphold. Roberts. Holy schneikes.

I'm glad, because I think the law has a lot of good provisions for our kids and for people in general. At worst, it's a starting point for healthcare reform that can be tweaked and built on as we see what works and what does not.

5. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

This is definitely a good starting point and it will need to be tweaked so what does not work gets revised. Health care needs to fairer. I know many companies hide money in insurance account. Public school do as every year our district reserve goes up because of insurance savings while we pay more for less coverage.

I hope at some point anything FDA approved is available for all. My child is no better or worse than a financially well off person. She deserves the same care if she needs it for a healthy future.

6. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I agree--really interested in reading his views (apparently based on taxing authority rather than commerce clause, which might appease my libertarian DH). At the end of the day, I feel that it is probably better to do something that may be imperfect than to do nothing ...

7. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

8. Mish

Mish Approved members

I'd like to personally thank Mitt Romney for the foresight to introduce individual mandates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lmihmlb1LBY&feature=youtu.be

Too bad that Mitt is not running for president.

(ps, we have a "I'm RIGHT and you're LEFT" ..er..."Hot Topics" forum for posts like this . Maybe Jeff can move this one)

9. emm142

emm142 Approved members

10. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

11. Lee

Lee Approved members

12. caspi

caspi Approved members

13. sooz

sooz Approved members

14. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

No interest in stirring up the debate again, but there's an important factual issue here. States are permitted to impose such mandates, but the federal government cannot (at least until today). That's why states set car insurance rules and the feds do not.

15. Mish

Mish Approved members

blah blah blah, talking point talking point, blah blah blah.

But, I am glad you know more than the supreme court. I get warm fuzzies knowing that.

16. hawkeyegirl

Well, the federal government DID not until this law was passed. That doesn't mean they COULD not. Important distinction there. I would also note that there is no need for the feds to act in the car insurance arena. Every state requires insurance. It's funny how that works so well.

Look, I once clerked for a state supreme court judge who enjoyed noting that "We're not final because we're right. We're right because we're final." ;) The same principal applies here. The law is constitutional because five men and women who decide these things said it was. You can disagree with the policy, the implementation, the effects, but the law is constitutional.

Really, most people who are against the law are in favor of most of its provisions when questioned about them individually. They hate the name attached to the law, not the law itself. Heck, I read today that 1/4 of people polled a few weeks ago thought the law had already been repealed, and another quarter of them weren't sure. So this mass outcry is really mostly about the creator of the law, not the law itself. Present company excepted, of course.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  17. sooz

sooz Approved members

Because health insurance existed in the late 1700's Colonial America and could have been directly addressed in the Constitution and they chose to leave it out?

18. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Check this out:
    http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/292584_358396264199025_2087775670_n.jpg

19. caspi

caspi Approved members

20. hawkeyegirl