- advertisement -

Intense exercise and lows

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bayleesmom, Aug 14, 2016.

1. bayleesmom

bayleesmom Approved members

]My daughter is 15 and she has just started practice for travel soccer. She hasn't been very active this summer, so the heat and the intense practice has kicked her tail. She had practice Thursday from 6 to 8 pm. I expected a low to come during the night, but it didn't. It didn't come all day Friday either. It came Saturday morning with a really stubborn low of 50, gave her juice it moved it up to 51, another juice 62 and then another up to 82. She ate cereal and milk and it went right back down to 62. We eventually got it to stay up. I just am wondering if the soccer practice caused the lows 36 hours later. I haven't ever had this to happen before, so I'm trying to learn more about it. She will be practicing 3 days a week and I need to be prepared for it. Have any of you had this experience?

Mom to 15 yr old T1 DD
    Dx'd 2006 @ 5yrs old

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  2. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

We've definitely had times we thought that was happening (delayed lows) but like you were never really sure since there is such a time lag. If she's going to practice 3 days a week,you'll probably get lots of overlap in the lows anyway. I might reduce basal all around going in and then adjust when you see his it plays out.

3. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I haven't experienced a low caused by exercise 2 days earlier. At least, not that I noticed. With so many variables, it's hard to know the actual cause.

I just chimed in to say that once the practice schedule is in full swing you may find her basal rates need to be lowered overall, meaning, all the time. Just keep that in the back of your mind.

Good luck! :)

4. bayleesmom

bayleesmom Approved members

Thank you both for your help. I'm going to call her doctors office tomorrow and see what his nurse recommends. Have a good week.

5. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

With girls you have to think about the menstrual cycle as well, as it will come into play. What happens this week with exercise may be different next and the next may be different as well. Gotta love the hormones:)

6. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

We find that when we first start back soccer, we have lows. We have delayed lows as well, usually at least 12 hours out before it starts, but not two or three days. Once practice and games really get in the swing, then the activity does not affect her near as much. We just use temp basals to try to control it the best we can.

7. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We've experienced this, only as the basal needs drop significantly, the I:C ratio also needs adjusted. The combo can create wicked, stubborn lows if not seen fast enough. (Many thanks to Dexcom for making our kids' lives so much better!)