advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insurance won't cover Freestyle test strips!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Kim Kaar, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Kim Kaar

Kim Kaar Approved members

Hello All,

We changed insurance at the first of the year and the Cigna Plan that we have refuses to cover Freestyle test strips.
    My son has used the Freestyle for the last 15 years and he loves it. This is really bad news. Kind of along the same lines as the UHC/Medtronic ultimatum. Has anyone else run into this, and how have you handled it? I'm figuring an appeal is in order, but I'd like to change it a higher level so that other families can avoid this problem.

Thanks in advance for your response!

Kim,
    Mother of Alex, 18 years old, diagnosed 2/2000 at 18 months old

2. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

I just came to this site looking for any info on this. We use BCBS (like Cigna, also owned by Anthem, I think) and received a letter today saying that they will no longer cover freestyle strips. My wife is calling them now. I don't get it. What's the logic? So we can't use Omnipod to test BG anymore? Has Insulet said anything? This is problematic.

3. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

David,

We had this same situation a few months ago. Just ask your endo to write an insurance override, because you use omnipod, and it only uses Freestyle test strips, and your insurance should continue to cover it. That's what we did, and it was easy.

4. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

Same here! I freaked out when we got the letter last year, literally losing sleep over it (I also posted a question on CWD). The override turned out to be no big deal -- the endo wrote a letter and the coverage was restored almost immediately.

It's very frustrating that they put patients through these hoops, if all it takes is a magic letter to undo the decision.

5. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Thanks Cheetah! Wife is on it.

6. Kim Kaar

Kim Kaar Approved members

Glad to see all of these responses, especially with regards to Omnipod users. We are using the "Freestyle Promise Program" to get around the problem right now, but will definitely address it at the insurance company level.