- advertisement -

Insurance stopped covering Pen Needles

Discussion in 'Insurance Issues' started by KellersMom517, Oct 6, 2013.

1. KellersMom517

KellersMom517 Approved members

Has anyone had this happen before? Our insurance company switched prescription plans and I just had to pay $95 for 2 boxes of pen needles. It makes pretty much zero sense that they would cover pen cartridges of Humalog and the Lantus Solostar, both of which require the pen needles - and not cover what you need to administer them!! WTH. :mad:

Has anyone had luck getting them to cover them again - or is there a different kind of needle, other than a syringe?

2. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

Ask the pharmacist if there is a different pen needle, Then I would be calling my insurance company asking why. Sorry that happened. I would be livid.

3. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

If you have a Walmart nearby Relion pen needles are $9 per box of 50. I use them for Symlin since it is cheaper for me to pay for a few boxes than pay a copay for the brand name. The quality is equivalent if not better than the BD ones.

ETA: Of course you should have your endo's office get you insurance coverage for the pen needles you want. But until then the relion needles will save you some money.

4. KellersMom517

KellersMom517 Approved members

Thanks for the advice all:) My endo is a rock star and spent all yesterday on the phone with Rite Aid and with the insurance and figured out the problem! It was some sort of glitch that neither the insurance or the pharmacy noticed, and the needles should be covered. Not only that, but I will be getting a refund in 4-5 days for everything but my co-pay!!