- advertisement -

Insurance is such a pain

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kt_mom, Jul 10, 2014.

1. kt_mom

kt_mom Approved members

So frustrated. I called Foundation Care this week to order more sensors and a new transmitter. When I origonally contacted them earlier this year she asked if I wanted to replace the transmitter too for a $45 copay like the sensors and I said no because we didn't need it yet. Then I ordered more sensors at the end of March and it was still $45/2 boxes.

So I called this week about sensors and a new transmitter and she says something has changed with my insurance coverage and the price is now $110/2 boxes and also $110 for the transmitter. She didn't know what had changed so I thanked her and said I would call back. I called Caremark and the guy said that the price changed last year. I told him that I had ordered twice this year and the copay had been $45 both times. He said I got lucky and that it was supposed to change at the first of the year. He said I could file a complaint for them to look into it, but that it might end up backfiring on me for the previous two purchases.

I called foundation care back today to order them because we need them and $110/2 boxes is still cheaper than $60 for 1 box from edgepark under DME, and the customer service at foundation care is so much better. I then checked the caremark site. The claim shows the total cost as $1048.90, that's over $500 a box.

I really wish I had ordered the transmitter earlier in the year for $45. To add salt to the wound, I called dexcom earlier in the week because it keeps showing out of range even when its sitting next to her. We changed the sensor to see if that was it but it was still doing it. We were on vacation last week and I didn't have a chance to call until we got home. Of course the warranty ran out on the 28th. If I had called before we left I could have saved $110. She is sending me two sensors to replace the onces we changed early though so that was helpful.

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I know what you mean. we have a ton of RX's waiting with Foundation care for when the RX side shows that I have made our dedutible, no I am not going to pay 242.00 for 200 test strips again, I want them for free with 100% coverage now that we have met our deducable!

3. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

My biggest frustration with insurance is that we have individual deductibles and family deductibles. We met the family before my T1D daughter met her individual and I guess the BCBS system didn't show that so they kept trying to charge me the rest of her deductible. On top of that, we met the out of pocket max in June so everything is 100% covered for all of us. The system must not show that either and I keep havign to pay people and then get refunded.