- advertisement -

Insurance Experience: United Health Care

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by momto2, Oct 11, 2007.

1. momto2

momto2 Approved members

Hey all - we are looking at our insurance options and have to make a decision by early next week. We want to get away from our Cigna plan we are on, and one option is:

United Choice Plus PPO (which is by United Health Care as far as we can tell)

Anyone have any experience with this company?

Have they covered your diabetes related needs to your satisfaction?

Thanks in advance

2. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

No experience with United. I hated Cigna for all the hoops I had to go thorugh. We were able to switch to BCBS of Delaware EPO (also known as Anthem). Never thought I'd say this about an insurance company but when comparing them to Cigna - I love them!

3. momto2

momto2 Approved members

Cigna has been "okay" in some respects. In fact, we only pay about $20 per month TOTAL for all of Susan's supplies and insulin...but doctors keep dropping off their plan after we made our decision, and then they have trouble getting paid. Not to mention there were some hoops to jump through.

But - the cost to us goes up at least $2k this coming year to stay on the same plan, where if we go to the United plan, our cost DROPS by $1k of what we paid this year after my husband's company's contribution. Coverage doesn't on the surface to be much difference.

4. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

We're on United PPO plus and pay the extra to have no deductible. That said, there are several wonderful doctors in our area who will not accept United. After reading the EOBs (explanation of benefits) and seeing how much money United cuts out of each bill, I'm somewhat surprised any healthcare provider accepts United. I guess this is why office visits are cut so short.

We have to use a particular lab for labwork which is not always convenient. (This may be standard for managed care?)

On our plan, the pump supplies are paid through major medical by United.
    Our medications go through Medco.

We've been fortunate to get everything necessary for the diabetes.

5. akrickard

akrickard Approved members

We have UHC for our medical coverage. I'm a civil servant and our plan farms out different aspects of health insurance to whomever offers the best deal. UHC covers our doctor visits and medical equipment. We don't pay a dime for diabetic supplies or the pump. I pay a co-pay for insulin and glucagon, though.

I'd check thoroughly though, just because it's the same insurance co, different employers often have different plans.

6. momto2

momto2 Approved members

Well - our choice has been made, and there's no going back now. It will be United Health Care. We just couldn't afford the Cigna Open Access 80/300 - it was going to cost about $3000 more across the year out of my husband's pay check. The only other 3 were all HMOs within our state, and our daughter with diabetes goes to school out of state.

Guess we'll find out in January how our choice worked out.

7. livacreature

livacreature Approved members

United gave us a lot of problems. I'm currently with Medcost and they have been pretty good with both my diabetes and my dad's cancer. Cigna was a pain in the butt, but not as bad as united.

8. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

We have UHC through my employer and it's been pretty awesome. We don't pay a dime for strips, meters or insulin. We've even been able to get CGMS coverage.