- advertisement -

insurance covers 150 test strips/month

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Deal, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Deal

Deal Approved members

How does this compare to others? If everything went as expected I suppose we could get by with 150 but there are always days we need to test more. Any other Canadians have this issue and solve it?

2. mcleodja

mcleodja Approved members

my insurance covers unlimited but when pharmacare kicks in it is limited to about 3000/year either way we go through 3650 per year

3. D A Morisse

D A Morisse Approved members

FYI-Manitoba health covers up to 4000 test strips per yr.
    Your Doctor needs to write how many times testing per day on your script

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  4. Toni

Toni Banned

Freestyle Promise Program will give you $50 a month toward copays and strips. We could not get by with 150 a month. She has always tested at least 10 times a day, sometimes more. I would get the Freestyle help and an inexpensive meter with less expensive strips, in addition to what is paid for. P.S. You should first try for your endo to override the prescription with a special exception. Endo will demand number of strips he prescribed; insurance companies will usually honor this.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  5. mcleodja

thanks for the correction but that does not help the person in Ontario
    do you deal with the Derc here in Winnipeg, they do not restrict what so ever how many times you can test

6. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

I'm not sure who your insurance provider is but we deal with Sunlife and had the same issue. The pharmacist alerted us about 3 months in and asked us to get a letter from our endo. He supplied a handwritten note and now we get 300 a month with no issues. If you get your endo to specify on the script or write a note I'm sure you'll be fine.

7. Deal

Deal Approved members

We are with SunLife too! Thanks for the information. That is what we were going to try and we can do so with confidence now. Much appreciated.

8. mcleodja

sunlife here also

9. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

We get 300 a month covered because that is what the script is written for. Maybe have them re-write the script to reflect more if you need more.

10. sunnydays

sunnydays Approved members

Our prescription is also written for 300 per month. A nurse told me before that they could even do more (14 strips per day I believe) if it was needed.