- advertisement -

Insurance company is dropping Medtronic

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dvane, Nov 8, 2011.

1. dvane

dvane Approved members

Our insurance company just purchased a new pump for Ethan. We received a letter from medtronics yesterday stating that our insurance will no longer have a contract with them as of the first of the year:mad:. Now what? We can not afford to pay out of pocket for infusion sets and resevoirs. Just stressed.....

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Honestly, I'd contact the insurance company and ask them what THEY are going to do about it. Are they going to override anything you need through medtronic, make you get your medtronic supplies through a different supplier, OR are they going to buy you a new pump from another company.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Whoa. I have no idea what is going on with your insurance company, but I suspect you will be able to find a supplier to purchase the supplies through that your insurance will work with. I'd call your insurance company and find out what suppliers they will authorize you to use and go from there.

4. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

Is the contract being dropped for Medtronics or all Medtronics products? Sometimes the insurance company will get a better contract with a medical supply company like Edgepark etc. and you can still purchase supplies through the medical supplier.

5. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

Medtronic was not in network for us, when we bought L's pump, but a local diabetes supply company was in network and we got our Medtronic supplies through them. It might be a situation like that.

If this is not the case, then you might be able to obtain a gap exception or provider exception. I have been able to have out of network covered as in network, when there was no other option of obtaining care from an in network provider.

Definitely call your insurance company and start inquiring.

6. dvane

dvane Approved members

That is a good question. The letter says terminating contract. My husband is going to call the insurance company and talk to them.

7. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I buy a;; my supplies through my pharmacy

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yes, our insurance is similar. Our endo is not in-network, but he's the only pediatric endo within 50 miles, so our insurance company agreed to treat him as an in-network provider.