- advertisement -

Insulin Vial Question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by LJM, Oct 25, 2009.

1. LJM

LJM Approved members

Maybe this has been asked before, but I could not find an answer.

I am about ready to fill and Animas cartridge for Carter. I have a little bit in one vial that is not yet expired and I would like to use it up, but it will not be enough for the cartridge to fill up for the next few days.

I have tried this before with too many bubbles--taking insulin out of 2 vials for one cartridge. Is there some trick I am missing?

Or is it better to just take the rest of the vial and then just replace the cartridge tomorrow night or the next morning when he runs low on insulin?

2. LJM

LJM Approved members

Never mind.

3. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

Did you figure it out. Normally I just use one vial of insulin use that and refil when the vial is out and not do a whole site change, just the cartridge change.
    I don't mix vials.. just me though.

Did you get it to work??:)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  4. LJM

LJM Approved members

I decided to use a new vial and keep the old one just to use if I need for a shot or something. Thanks for replying, I appreciate it.

5. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

I fill the cartridge with air, and push a little into the vial, then I draw back and get as much insulin out as I can before it starts bringing a mix of insulin and air in. When it does that, you'll see a huge amount of bubbles that come in. Then I move on to the new vial and get the rest of the insulin out of the second vial. If you wanted to guess, and were iffy about contamination, you could always go for the new vial first, and end with drawing from the old vial, using it to push the air out, ect.

A little trick I learned here was to fill the vial a few hours before the change and let it sit upright before using it. If you ever have the issue of bubbles being a problem, this is a good answer if you have the time to wait for the bubbles to rise to the top.

6. meg9901

meg9901 Approved members

I've had the very same question and have tried several ways to deal with that end of vial question. In the end, like you, I decided it wasn't worth the bubbles and aggravation to try to get the last bit out of the vial. I like your idea of saving it for "just in case".
    Before I came to this conclusion, my next best idea was to guess the amount of insulin was left in the vial, then get the difference from a new vial, then top it off with the remainder of the old vial. Like if I guessed there were 40 units remaining in the old vial and I needed 100 total, I would first get 60 from the new vial, then return to the old vial to get the remaining 40. Too awkward and not worth it for me.

7. LJM

LJM Approved members

Thanks Meg and Jamie. I like those ideas. Will try it next time!

So appreciate your responses.

8. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

When Reann was dx'd 11 yrs ago, we were told not to use that last little bit of insulin in the vial. Maybe that has changed, but we've never completely used up the insulin in a vial.

9. LJM

LJM Approved members

Sisterbeth,
    I have only had troubles when I have tried to get that last little bit, so I usually do toss it. I was just feeling like I didn't want to toss it out and waste it, but it was not too much.