- advertisement -

Insulin Start

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Kimby, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Kimby

Kimby Approved members

I haven't posted in a long time, but thought an update was due. As background, Andrew was diagnosed with type 1 in 2008, and shortly afterwards, Kaitlyn volunteered for Trialnet. Skimming over details that can be found in earlier posts or the blog, she was officially diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in 2012 when she failed two consecutive oral glucose tolerance tests. However, she was able to handle a normal diet and maintained A1Cs around 5.1 for four years. When she got a cold, we checked and discovered some mildly elevated glucose that lingered past the cold. She took her first Lantus shot February 26th, but didn't start mealtime insulin. After a week and a half, she started having too many lows and went off of insulin! It was the best form of denial, but it didn't last very long. March 25th, she started mealtime shots. Her attitude has been great, but diabetes still stinks. Her numbers have steadily deteriorated, and we've given up any hope of her going off of insulin again. It's like we could watch her pancreas reach the point of not being able to keep up. We appreciate Trialnet, because she definitely had a gentler transition than Andrew did. She was never sick and got help right away. Starting with one shot a day helped too, because it was so logistically easy, except for the 2 a.m. checks. We know so much more now, so it really is about adjusting. A friend was at the house last weekend and asked her, "Why does it seem that diabetes is so much harder for you than for Andrew?" In a way, it was a good reminder that it will get easier. Andrew has done this so long, that carb counting and bolusing are second nature to him. Kaitlyn is already sick of shots, and she has requested a pump. Andrew doesn't even own clothes that don't have pockets for his diabetes gear. Girls clothes seem harder to work with! Kaitlyn wants the t-slim like Andrew has, but she doesn't like the clip design. Andrew never used the clip, so it hasn't been an issue, but I think it will be for her. Has anyone made a good t-slim clip yet?

2. 22jules

22jules Approved members

My daughter is on a medtronic pump and instead of using a clip she wears pump bands that we got from pumpwearinc.com. She wears them under her clothing- you can't even tell she has a pump. It is also very easy for her to access when blousing etc.

I just noticed- my daughter is 17 too! So she also likes to have some privacy regarding her diabetes.

3. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

When my daughter pumped, she just kept her T:Slim in her back pocket. The pump clip that came with it sucked...but maybe they have improved the design? Or perhaps you can find something on 3D Hubs? If my daughter was wearing pants without pockets, she tucked it in her waistband. If she was wearing a dress, she wore shorts under it and kept the pump there...but now that she's older, I think she'd probably use her bra and tuck it inside the side.

My son wears a belt from Tallygear for his PDM and testing supplies, but boy clothes are definitely more forgiving, at least for a kid as thin as he is. Shirts are so loose that no one even sees a bulge.

4. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

I also use the tslim.

If I'm wearing pants or a skirt, I often clip my pump to the waistband or inside a front pocket. The only issue is that if my waistband becomes too big the pump likes to slide all over the place and makes it a lot easier for it to come off and become a swinging pendulum of death. If I'm wearing a dress, I will clip it to the front of my bra (if it's more structured... though it often looks like I grew a third boob overnight) or put it in a sock and stick it in a bandeau/sports bra (it has to be in a sock -otherwise, I experience a ton of occlusion alarms). I have also had success clipping it to a shoulder strap if I'm wearing a tank top-style dress.

I've used a Flipbelt, though it's really impractical with dresses. In terms of pump clips, there's been a few people who stuck a thin clip onto their pump so that it is a lot slimmer than if the pump is in the tandem case.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  5. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I wear the tslim and don't use a clip or case. That makes it too bulky for me. If I don't have a pocket to put it in I just put it in the side strap of my bra under my arm. No issues at all. And no one can see it. Works with summer dresses, tank tops, anything. If I need to bolus I will do the touch bolus feature so I don't have to take it out. For formal wear where it might show I wear spanks/shorts and put it on my inner thigh. Most of my workout pants have a stretchy pocket for keys that the pump fits nicely in.

6. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I stuck a niteize clip directly to my pump... this specific version is not available any more, but the non-locking hipclip is as well as a plastic version of the locking one :)

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1502/26345142220_e1b2878cac.jpg

I couldn't stand how "low" the actual clip on t:clip cases was - my pump was CONSTANTLY flipping out of my pocket and it drove me insane.

7. Kimby

Kimby Approved members

Thanks for all the great ideas! These were exactly the kinds of things that she needed to hear. Having a brother with t1d helps, but not so much with this kind of thing. Thanks again!

8. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

What about the OmniPod? No clips. No tubing. Just stick it on and go.

9. Kimby

Kimby Approved members

Kaitlyn says she isn't interested in the Pod because of its higher profile under clothing, but I'm sure she's influenced by the fact that Andrew used it for about 3 months and just never liked it. He had lots of failed pods and also had a couple site infections with the Pod that he's never had with the other sites.

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

might just have to get one of these! my oldest in on the Vibe now and while I like the clip it comes wit it sticks out way farher than it has to.

11. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I don't really understand that since it is less obtrusive than having something clipped to you and a tube running from the pump, but to each their own. As for the pod failures and site infections, Danielle has had a few failures but I think that happens with any pump site and doesn't seem to happen often. She has never had a single site infection (Knock On Wood).

Anyway, good luck.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  12. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

I will say about the pods that when they fail you know it. It's pretty binary. With the tubed pump anytime there were wonky BGs I'd wonder if it was a diabetes thing or an insulin delivery issue. Also the pod is so small I don't think you could see it unless she were wearing a bikini or other revealing clothing - smaller than a cell phone certainly and smaller than a tubed pump. The PDM is clunky but would go in her purse.

13. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

When I was still on my ping I hacked apart my super bulky rotating clip (if you drill out the rivets, it comes apart) and stuck one of these on the flat "base" the snaps into the pump before i got my t:slim... it worked really well :) The metal clip was always slipping, and while the rotating clip had a spring and that helped, it felt HUGE compared to the metal one.... my DIY solution was the best of both :)

14. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

Agreed.

Kimby, when was your son on the pod? We had a run of bad pods and frustration during our first couple of years on Omnipod, but we've found the pod to be way more reliable since about mid-2014. Over the past year, we have experienced a pod alarm maybe every 2 months. I can't speak for all podders, but it seems to me that in the blogosphere and on these forums, I've seen much higher satisfaction from fellow Omnipod users over the last year or two than when we first started.

15. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members